Day Old Chick Not Progressing......suggestions??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by heath_elisha, Apr 17, 2012.

1. heath_elisha

heath_elisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    My brother in law hatched some chicks for us..... out of 24 eggs, we came home with 6 chicks. He apparently has not perfected hatching yet........ anyways- we have two chicks that seem to be a work in progress. One is starting to walk around better, eyes are almost opened most of the time and I have been able to get it to drink. (This one was born about 24 hours ago) Then there is the youngest one. He had to "help" it out of the shell [​IMG] at some point yesterday afternoon. This little ones is not doing so great. It can not stand, it flips over backwards and gets stuck on it's back. I just cleaned the crusty stuff off it's eyes with a warm baby washcloth and it still will not open it's eyes. These two still have not "sealed" up completely where the yolk was attached. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to nurture/encourage it to progress? The others are running, chirping, eating and active cuties. Sad part is, the worst one is the only one that hatched from my favorite easter egger [​IMG] I sure hope it pulls through.......... but what can I do to help????

2. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Sorry I can't help very much but you should probably set up a smaller seperate brooder for the one who isn't doing so well. That way it can't get trampled.

3. laura877

laura877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    Attica, Mi
    I agree. Get it away from the others. Get an eye dropper and give it some water so it doesn't dehydrate. Not too much at one time though. Helping out of the shell is not always good. I know its hard to resist but the chicks need to swiggle, push, struggle to get out of the shell. This way they are strenghtening their back, leg and neck muscles. Imagine yourself being all curled up in that postion for 21 days and then trying to push your way out.You'd be pushing with your legs and head trying to free yourself. Try propping it up in the sitting position.or even holding it with its head upright. Best wishes.

4. heath_elisha

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    We do have them separated from the others by a cardboard divider in the brooder. I have given them mashed hard boiled egg yolk (watered down slightly) because I heard that might give them a boost. I am also heading to the farmers supply store to find some save a chick or something of the sort to boost them through the water consumption. I have been encouraging it to stand up in my cupped hands and have stretched it's legs to help strengthen it just a bit. I know it is not recommended not to help hatch- and I can guarantee that I will be the one hatching next time. Education is key to success and my brother in law (although great try) does not know all the basics yet. Kinda wish we knew this going into it...... but we ended up with 6 chicks- so not too bad....... I will keep encouraging it and hopefully it progresses more. Time will tell, I suppose...

5. heath_elisha

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Got some electrolytes in these little ones.... hoping to see some progress by tonight. The better of the two is standing more- but still not eating and drinking on it's own. I don't want to make them drink too much- but I want them hydrated. I just keep giving them a sip or two every once and awhile. They gulp it down and then rest again. The youngest one is laying on it's side now- scares me, but I know that sometimes they do that when sun bathing............ Still not opening it's eyes..... ugh, the suspense! [​IMG]

6. heath_elisha

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    well after my best attempts to nurture the weakest baby to health- it passed away this morning [​IMG] horrible............. but the other seems to be thriving today. we put her in with the others and they are teaching her to eat. She has not eaten or drank on her own yet, although I keep trying to teach her. I watched her finally peck something ((Yes!!!) and I am hoping she will get the idea. I have her on electrolytes as well and gave her watered down fresh yolk from a dropper this morning. She is now 2 days old and hopefully she learns something from the others!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by