Day Old Chick Not Thriving

CakNH

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2018
Tilton, NH
I just brought home my first little flock of day-old chicks from MPC. Fourteen of them are doing great. My little Lavender Orp, Daisy (she’s the only one with a name so far because we’ve been nursing her), appears to be failing to thrive.

She was the only one in the shipment box who seemed to be a bit less active than the others, and was getting a bit trampled. For the long ride home from the PO, my college-aged daughter (who is a biology major looking to go into medicine) snuggled her in her jacket and fed her Nutri-Drench out of the palm of her hand. We blasted the heat in the car until we were dripping with sweat to drive 40 miles through a blizzard, back home to the brooder.

Daisy perked up with the ND, and then just wanted to snuggle and nap. She never made a single peep, but would sometimes open her beak wide.

We got home and kept the other girls in the box for a minute to get Daisy settled. We dipped her beak in the water, but she showed no interest. We showed her the chick starter. Again, no interest.

Got the other girls in assembly-line style (check for pasty butt, dropper of ND, dip beak in water, go). They were all fine. Mixed up some mash with warm water and chick starter, and DD snuggled Daisy and tried to hand feed her. She may have ingested a tiny bit, but no interest.

Put Daisy under the Brinsea. Warmed towels in dryer. Made up some electrolyte solution. DD wrapped her in a warm towel and we dropper-fed her electrolytes, which she took. Put her back under the Brinsea, full contact.

She’s now napping. One of her sisters (another LO) is snuggling her. She’s on her side, and breathing more frequent but more shallow breaths than the other nappers.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

I just brought home my first little flock of day-old chicks from MPC. Fourteen of them are doing great. My little Lavender Orp, Daisy (she’s the only one with a name so far because we’ve been nursing her), appears to be failing to thrive.

She was the only one in the shipment box who seemed to be a bit less active than the others, and was getting a bit trampled. For the long ride home from the PO, my college-aged daughter (who is a biology major looking to go into medicine) snuggled her in her jacket and fed her Nutri-Drench out of the palm of her hand. We blasted the heat in the car until we were dripping with sweat to drive 40 miles through a blizzard, back home to the brooder.

Daisy perked up with the ND, and then just wanted to snuggle and nap. She never made a single peep, but would sometimes open her beak wide.

We got home and kept the other girls in the box for a minute to get Daisy settled. We dipped her beak in the water, but she showed no interest. We showed her the chick starter. Again, no interest.

Got the other girls in assembly-line style (check for pasty butt, dropper of ND, dip beak in water, go). They were all fine. Mixed up some mash with warm water and chick starter, and DD snuggled Daisy and tried to hand feed her. She may have ingested a tiny bit, but no interest.

Put Daisy under the Brinsea. Warmed towels in dryer. Made up some electrolyte solution. DD wrapped her in a warm towel and we dropper-fed her electrolytes, which she took. Put her back under the Brinsea, full contact.

She’s now napping. One of her sisters (another LO) is snuggling her. She’s on her side, and breathing more frequent but more shallow breaths than the other nappers.

I hope she ends up feeling better and congrats on your new babies. It sounds like you are going to be a great chicken mama.

If anything will get Daisy on her feet, it's the Nutri-drench.

I would let her snuggle with the others tonight, but provide a heating pad so Daisy has direct contact with a heat source. At this point, she needs heat more than anything since she isn't able to generate any herself. Direct contact heat is more natural and works faster than radiant heat.

If Daisy survives the night, crumbled tofu and finely minced boiled egg are better than crumbles for a failure-to-thrive chick. Continue with the undiluted Nutri-drench until she's eating on her own and acting like the others.

It sounds like you’ve done everything possible to help little Daisy out, I’d let her be overnight. The Brinsea should do its job and disrupting her could be stressful for her. Check on her in the morning and hopefully she makes it, if she does give her another drop of nutridrench. Shipping can be really stressful for chicks and even then some are just born weaker than the others. Make sure to contact MPC if she doesn’t make it and they’ll give you a refund for her, although I hope there will be no need and she’ll pull through. I got a shipment from MPC on Feb 5th, I recieved only one LO from them and she was weak the day I got her. Today at five weeks she’s doing great! Best of luck to little Daisy and you.

We lost her. We peeked underneath the Brinsea and she’s no longer breathing. Eyes closed. I tried a drop of electrolytes, and no beak movement, or any movement.

I guess I’m just glad that it’s only one, and the others are doing so well. She was noticeably smaller than the others, so I guess it wasn’t meant to be. I’ll call MPC in the morning.

Thanks so much for the support.

We lost her. We peeked underneath the Brinsea and she’s no longer breathing. Eyes closed. I tried a drop of electrolytes, and no beak movement, or any movement.

I guess I’m just glad that it’s only one, and the others are doing so well. She was noticeably smaller than the others, so I guess it wasn’t meant to be. I’ll call MPC in the morning.

I'm so sorry for your loss :hugs

I’m so sorry you lost your little one. She had a name and was loved, you gave her a good life in her short time. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom