Day old chick off balance, scratching at ears, laying on back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by meowtakkun, Mar 20, 2017.

1. meowtakkun

meowtakkun Just Hatched

Feb 24, 2017
    She's actually two days old now. But since she's been in the brooder I've noticed her acting weird. She doesn't sit upright like normal. she can walk around okay, just obviously off balance. She can stand up and eat. I haven't seen her drink so we have been syringe watering her a vitamin/electrolyte mix a few times a day. She seems to do better after that but eventually she starts scratching at her ears again. Then proceeds to lose balance and fall into her back. Which is what position she's in most of the time. She doesn't seem particularly lethargic or actually weak. Just off balance. What else should I be doing to help her? [​IMG]

2. meowtakkun

meowtakkun Just Hatched

Feb 24, 2017
    [​IMG]

Maybe these vitamins are doing the trick! I haven't seen her sit like this yet. I'm already attached so if she keeps pulling through she's a definite keeper.

3. meowtakkun

meowtakkun Just Hatched

Feb 24, 2017
    Aaaaand now she's laying back on her side again.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    When chicks are stressed after hatching or being shipped, vitamins and electrolytes are the most import thing. Dipping their beaks into the water all day long can help if they have become dehydrated. Keep a check for pasty butt, and clean off once a day. I like to put some paper towel down and sprinkle a few chick crumbles around their feet to get used to pecking and eating for a couple of days. Let's hope she makes it.

5. meowtakkun

meowtakkun Just Hatched

Feb 24, 2017
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by