Day old chick pecking other chicks eyes painfully...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenniferlamar70, Jun 14, 2016.

1. jenniferlamar70

jenniferlamar70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    I ordered some chicks and finally received all 10 today. One of the Brahmas is going after all the other chicks eyes within seconds of each other. All the chicks are terrifies of it and trying to hide. I don't know what to do. I've never had this happen before. I'm afraid the one is going to seriously damage one of the others. Any ideas on what to do?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2015
    Firstly, if it's just the one .. get it out of there and away from the other chicks.

Show it some water as maybe it is thirsty and doesn't know how to drink but knows that the eyes around it are wet.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2015
    If the other chicks are all fine with each other. Keep the evil one away for a while. Don't feed it treats (or the others). Try water with some of the chick electrolytes added and mash only. Mash is better than crumbles of you can find it for smaller, new chicks. Let the others settle down and recover for a few days. Try putting the bad chick back and watch carefully. If it is still attacking the eyes of the others, consider giving it away to someone to raise alone and away from other chickens. Sometimes one might be just not quite right in the head.

4. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    Yeah I have it seperated in its own little box in the brooder where it can see the others but not hurt them. None of the other chicks are doing this. Just the one. It has food and water. I'm hoping if I keep it separate and do supervised visits daily I can get it back with the others.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Lots of tips and techniques for stopping this damaging behavior in my article linked below on the subject.

6. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    I'd love to read it but it's not showing the link for some reason. :(

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
  8. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    Thanks. I'm using Mobile with my phone. There are all sorts of kinks unfortunately. I can't post pictures unless I switch over to desktop mode..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by