day old chick question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mamadukes5, Oct 10, 2011.

1. mamadukes5

mamadukes5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Easthampton, Mass
    I had a batch of chicks start hatching yesterday. One pipped, but not through the membrane inside the egg. After 8 hours, I stupidly decided to help him out. I broke the membrane and the little beak was there opening and closing, but it looked shrinkwrapped, the whole membrane wrapped around the chick. I opened up the membrane and he started flapping his wings and etc., etc,...so anyway, the question is, right now he's laying in the incubator with one of his buddies. I gave him a little sugar water and he's cheeping and standing up and seems to be ok. The problem is that there is something attached to his belly, and all the chicks crawl around and theirs come off, but this one is not losing his whatever you call it. Do I try to remove it or leave it alone and let it fall off? I want to put him in the brooder with the others, but don't want them to rip that thing off if it's likely to come off by itself like the others did. There was no blood, and he just seemed tired most of the night, but this morning he's up and moving just with that thing attached. Anybody tell me what to do?

2. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    It whats left of the umbilical cord and should just dry up and fall off on it's own. But if you notice it being picked at by the other chicks you might need to isolate it until it does fall off. If everyone is leaving it alone and the chick appears healthy, leave it.

3. mamadukes5

Jul 14, 2011
    Easthampton, Mass
    ok, I'll do that. thanks for the info, first time I've seen this so didn't want to do too much or not enough. I appreciate the answer.

4. heatherkh

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    I know how ya feel! We just had our first hatch a little over a month ago. I'm by no means an expert, but found info on the umbilical cord on BYC. You might want to use the search function and search umbilical cord to see what others have done as well! Congratulations on your hatch!

5. mamadukes5

Jul 14, 2011
    Easthampton, Mass
    I left it alone, and now about an hour later, it has fallen off on its own, and she's in the brooder with her seven litle sisters (I hope for girls). She's drinking and gave the food a peck or two and is now laying under the heat lamp taking a nap. Incidentally, there were two eggs that I thought were shrink wrapped because I had taken them out of the fridge to balance the incubator. I opened the one I asked about and she appears to be doing fine. The one that I didnt assist looks like it died over night because there is no movement or anything else going on in there. I figured I'd try with one and see what happened either way, but I'm pretty sure the one I didnt help is done. This is only my second hatch and am learning as I go, so didnt want to mess with both and perhaps kill them both, but now I think I should have opened the two of them. Not gonna dwell on it, and there are three more in there, one pipped and starting to zip, the other two wiggling some, but no pip yet. I'll give them another day or two and see what develops. DH is outside right now finishing up my bigger chicken house, and hopefully when they're all feathered, they can go out with my other 7 three-week olds and keep each other warm at night. They're so cute when they're just hatched, but the three week olds are not so much to look at right now, with their feathers all coming in.

6. heatherkh

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    I think not dwelling is a good perspective for anyone who hatches chicks. They are so resilient yet so fragile all at the same time.

My chicks are exactly one month old today (Happy Hatchday, chickies!) and are just coming out of that awkward phase. They grow so fast!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by