day old chick there are pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bella1210, Mar 26, 2011.

1. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    our chicken had trouble hatching and now it can not walk. it seems like his neck is too long and can not keep his balnce

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    How old is he? I don't think his neck is the cause of the balance problems but rather the effect of them. He has his neck lowered to help balance him. I don't think his neck is too long it just appears that way because he is extending it.

Sometimes it takes awhile for newly hatched chicks to figure out what to do with their bodies., like a new foal getting used to standing on long legs. Is this the only chick you have exhibiting this behavior? How does he act otherwise in regard to eating, drinking, etc.

3. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    I would give him a bit of time. They are so wobbly when they first hatch for the first couple of days. I call them my little Bobbly Heads. There feet are always bigger then thier body at this point.

4. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Yeah. Just give him time to even out. Imagine being balled up in an egg, then pecking your way out. Then being in a new open space, having to adjust. He looks ok to me, though [​IMG] I had a chick get her head stuck in the egg, came out butt first. had to clean her up and it seem like part of her upper beak was not completely formed. Now, after a week, she's the smallest but runs and chirps with the rest. They are amazing resilient little buggers. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by