1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day Old Chick - Umbilical Cord Problem?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ksrchicks, Jun 14, 2011.

1. ksrchicks

ksrchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    Hello - I just received my first 5 chicks ever. They have been home in the brooder for 3 hours and 4 seem to be thriving and 1 seems to be struggling. The chick has been drinking a little water and eating a very small amount but is listless and much less active than the rest. I checked to see if she may be pasted up and noticed that there is a dried up very dark brown/red mass where I believe the umbilical cord must be attached. It is not a thin black string as described there may be. I would call this a scab except it is not fully attached to the chick. The other chicks seem to be being nice to her and not pecking at the area. The down around the area is matted and also sort of dried seeming. The chick is a white wynadotte bantam. Should it be cleaned or some sort of antiseptic applied? I would very much like to help this little chick so any advice at all would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    I'm not sure what others would have have to say but i usually leave mine well alone in that department, sometimes they do take time to heal properly.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Is anything sticking out besides a scab? Did the chick tear itself open by the umbilical?

4. ksrchicks

Jun 14, 2011
    Thanks for your reply. It does not appear to be torn open in any way but the loose scap is the size of a thumbnail and I have not wanted to make it worse by disturbing it at all. The chick seems to be doing worse since this afternoon, sleeping all the time. Any thoughts to help?

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'd just leave it be. Make sure it's drinking, you can put some sugar in the water.

I had a chick tear itself open at the umbilical, and he healed just fine.

6. ksrchicks

Jun 14, 2011
    Okay, thank you for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by