Day old chick with bad leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tripletmumm, May 11, 2011.

1. tripletmumm

tripletmumm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Hood River, Oregon
    I know I've seen a post about something similar in the past, but I don't have time to search through everything. So I'm sorry if this is repetative.

I have a baby chick that has a problem with one of it's legs. It pushes its leg straight out to the side and back. It struggles to walk and I don't think it is getting any water or food. Trying to force it, but haven't been having much success. The chick seems really tired, don't know if its do to the fact that it takes so much more effort to move around, or the fact it's not getting nutrition. Any thoughts on how to help my chick?

2. tripletmumm

Apr 25, 2011
    Hood River, Oregon
    Thought I would try to add some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Not to be negative, but I would cull it out of its misery. It probably won't have a very good chance at life. Sorry.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Last edited: May 11, 2011
  5. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Well i had a chick same color same everything and i had to cull it. But i currently have a taylor sid chick with like no ligaments in one leg on his hip but NO pain (p.s. mommy acciedently did this she is new so a little rough.) so i let him live no i am is mommy he thinks so too and he hops around (works at i-hope) fine But his other leg.He is growing and his leg is getting better so just because a chick is hurt doesent all the time mean CULL CULL CULL but in this case i would sorry.

6. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    I think you should give it a short bit of time. try a brace for the legs - give it a week or two & take it from there. its still small enough that if you brace the leg, it may recover with no problems. if it doesnt show signs of improvement, then it would be your choice where to take it from there.

7. tripletmumm

Apr 25, 2011
    Hood River, Oregon
    Thank you for all your thoughts, and thank you Miss Lydia for the link. I ended up making a hobble for the chick. She seemed to do well with it in the first hour. Will wait a week with it on before I decide to forget about it or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by