Day old chick with crooked spine/neck???????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Allicoop, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Allicoop

Allicoop Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Western Australia
    Hi guys, having a problem with my chick that hatched about 8 hours ago. it came out of the egg this way, its position in the egg appeared higher and had difficultly zig zagging but he got there in the end. He was my last to hatch on day 21. I thought I'd post a couple of pics here and maybe someone has had a similar problem and can offer advice if possible.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I've seen this before. It's like a weak neck right? Chick has come out of it after a few days. I find these chicks flip over more, and have to be checked on. I've had it happen maybe twice.

3. Allicoop

Dec 30, 2012
    Western Australia
    Hi Aoxa, oh gosh I hope so! It sounds like maybe that's it, I've looked at wry neck and that's definitely not it! You've given me some hope :)

4. aoxa

Keep your eye on the chick. I wouldn't put it under a heat lamp yet. I'd keep it in the bator with non-slip material under it. That way if it does flip over, it won't fry under a heat lamp.

I do think if it is just weakness from hatching - it will go away. I have seen it and it has turned out to be fine.

5. kiwicampbell

kiwicampbell Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    It is not wry neck that occurs much older as far as I know. We had this happen with a quail baby. I believe it was to do with the way she was stuck ing the egg. After she had hatched she still had a little shell attached to the back of her neck. I soaked it off but maybe it was too late.I was hoping that she would come out of it but she never did. She ended up looking like a tiny hunchback with her head a little off to the side. The children called her Quailimodo and she lived on. She matured and laid eggs and lived a perfectly normal Quail life in the quail flock. No one picked on her but funniest looking thing though.

6. aoxa

How strange!

One of the ones I've helped had this issue, but did outgrow it within a couple days.

7. Allicoop

Dec 30, 2012
    Western Australia
    Thank you both. I'll be crossing everything that she comes out of it. At the least hoping she can eat and drink and walk without too much difficulty. This is my first incubation and what an experience it has been. :)

8. Allicoop

Dec 30, 2012
    Western Australia
    Well my chick called Roxie with the twisted neck seems to be a lot better today! She is holding her head and able to bend down to try and eat without falling over. She has compensated by holding her head probably too far back sometimes but wow she looks amazing considering she's only just 24hours old. I had a major drama this morning tho, thought I'd killed her. I went and purchased some vitamins for her, only one kind available without iron (small town) and I made it up with water as per instructions. It must of had a thickening effect and she started gagging and foam started coming out of her mouth..horrific, my husband and I searched frantically for a 1ml syringe....couldn't find one. Found a 5 ml and broke the end of a needle off ( plastic bit) (cut myself badly in the process) to extend the small area on the syringe. Tried to suck gently what I could to clear the airway...keep in mind no chirping.....gasping...my hubby massaged her neck. My daughter as a last ditch effort tried to put some oil down her throat, but that didn't go so well, too much I think. So we jump in the car and head to the vet, by this time we have managed to get a few chirps but gasping still. The vet tells us that he can do nothing, oil was totally the wrong thing and she'll probably die from choking or pneumonia from fluid in her lungs...off we go home. That was 4 hours ago. She is now chirping and walking around and no gasping in sight...gosh this chick is a fighter...my husband has decided she is his as he got her to chirp from all the massaging. He called her Roxie... I hope she makes it through the night...

9. aoxa

Oh my! What drama!!

I'm happy she's coming around. Please keep us updated. [​IMG]

I'm sure you know now: Never put oil down the throat. Even with an impacted crop. Soaking up with bread and oil would be better than straight oil. I think the syringe was the best bet. Poor Roxie!!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by