Day Old Chick with Legs Straight Back & Neck Arched Backwards

JKHerdItAll

Songster
May 4, 2021
Northeast Wisconsin
Over the weekend, 5 Langshan chicks hatched from a place called Spectrum Poultry. The last 3 came out with issues and are in my hospital brooder - one has wry neck, one didn’t fully absorb its yolk and is generally weak, and this third one I had to help because it was shrink wrapped. The other two hatched totally on their own and I didn’t fully hatch this one, just helped it get unglued and zip a little bit over the course of a few hours.

It originally just looked weak yesterday, but this morning it looks like it has something neurological going on - has anyone dealt with this? Ignore the red stuff, it’s NOT blood - it’s B Complex and Vitamin E & Selenium that I tried to give it in the hope that it’s just super bad wry neck (but I don’t think it is). I also hatched 7 healthy Black Copper Marans and one weak one from the same place.

9C1327F0-A6F5-41F3-AD32-515AD682B055.jpeg

Last edited:
Over the weekend, 5 Langshan chicks hatched from a place called Spectrum Poultry. The last 3 came out with issues and are in my hospital brooder - one has wry neck, one didn’t fully absorb its yolk and is generally weak, and this third one I had to help because it was shrink wrapped. The other two hatched totally on their own and I didn’t fully hatch this one, just helped it get unglued and zip a little bit over the course of a few hours.

It originally just looked weak yesterday, but this morning it looks like it has something neurological going on - has anyone dealt with this? Ignore the red stuff, it’s NOT blood - it’s B Complex and Vitamin E & Selenium that I tried to give it in the hope that it’s just super bad wry neck (but I don’t think it is). I also hatched 7 healthy Black Copper Marans and one weak one from the same place.

View attachment 3099159
Looks like wry neck, I don't know much about it since I've never had to deal with it so I'll tag someone that should be able to help you out
@Wyorp Rock

Poor little thing. Sadly, this doesn't look or sound very good, be hopeful, be also be prepared that she won't make it.
All you can do is try to get some vitamins into her and see if that helps.
She may benefit by being placed into a chick chair.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
Thanks for the suggestion! That chick passed away that day and I'm still trying to save its sibling - this one's neck is so twisted that it can't eat or drink without me straightening it out and syringe feeding egg yolk, and then holding the chick upright for a while so the food doesn't come back up right away 😢 I'm dosing hard with Vitamin E capsules and B Complex after Rooster Booster had zero effect. I can't tell whether it's working or not, but I'm still crossing my fingers 🤞

Thanks for the suggestion! That chick passed away that day and I'm still trying to save its sibling - this one's neck is so twisted that it can't eat or drink without me straightening it out and syringe feeding egg yolk, and then holding the chick upright for a while so the food doesn't come back up right away 😢 I'm dosing hard with Vitamin E capsules and B Complex after Rooster Booster had zero effect. I can't tell whether it's working or not, but I'm still crossing my fingers 🤞
:hugs Sorry about the little one.
I hope this other one can make it.

Back
Top Bottom