Day old chick won't stop cheeping

FlowerDragon

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2022
This afternoon, I picked up a shipment of chicks. All chicks seem to be doing well, but one little d'uccle won't stop cheeping. We have a little sugar in the water and plenty of food for them and they're all eating and drinking well, except for that one, it seems to get lost. None of the others are acting cold or hot, so are there any ideas what might be wrong?

This afternoon, I picked up a shipment of chicks. All chicks seem to be doing well, but one little d'uccle won't stop cheeping. We have a little sugar in the water and plenty of food for them and they're all eating and drinking well, except for that one, it seems to get lost. None of the others are acting cold or hot, so are there any ideas what might be wrong?
Check it's vent. It could have pasty butt and need cleaned off. What is the temperature, at chick level, in the brooder?

I swear, every time I hatched I had a cry baby. Non stop chirping. As long as it's eating and drinking and has a clear butt..it's more than likely fine.

I have a heat lamp and the rest of the chicks are happy and active. That one chick seems to only want softened food, so I think that's what's wrong. It doesn't have pasty butt. Thanks for your help. 😀
Did she stop chirping once she started eating the softened feed?

Sometimes for tiny babies, they just aren't able to handle the crumbles for the first few days and the chick starter needs to be ground up finer.
Wet/softened food is a very good idea as well.

Did she stop chirping once she started eating the softened feed?

Sometimes for tiny babies, they just aren't able to handle the crumbles for the first few days and the chick starter needs to be ground up finer.
Wet/softened food is a very good idea as well.
Yes. We've done it three times now and the chick has quieted down and seems much happier. 😃

We had a similar situation with our most recent chicks. I followed @Wyorp Rock's advice about grinding up the food, and I also began giving all of them regular little plates of mash in case the chick was simply having trouble eating. She calmed down in about a day. :) Hope your situation works out just as nicely!

We had a similar situation with our most recent chicks. I followed @Wyorp Rock's advice about grinding up the food, and I also began giving all of them regular little plates of mash in case the chick was simply having trouble eating. She calmed down in about a day. :) Hope your situation works out just as nicely!
It did. The little chick is now eating the regular food, is quiet and thriving. 😀

Back
Top Bottom