day old chicks almost died due to the power outage

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by angrybird, May 13, 2011.

1. angrybird

angrybird New Egg

Apr 17, 2011
    so last night we had a power outage and the chicks(hungarian partridge) are old 3 days old. just 5 minutes after the light out , all the chicks got wet by ran into the waterer. all of them looked cold to dead , guess what i did to save them.( no electricity, no generator, no gas. no wood, chick were wet)[​IMG]

2. SlowMoneyFarm

SlowMoneyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Nauvoo
    put in a small box/container under a sleeping bag with you? (did that once)

3. angrybird

angrybird New Egg

Apr 17, 2011
    i put them in a shoe box , i was able hook up a 75watt bulb with my car power inverter. took about 20 minutes to dry them up.

4. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    In the same situation one time I put a candle in a can and put it in the brooder making sure the smoke vented out. They all huddled around it to keep warm.

5. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Back when I was a kid we raised lots of chicks .Elect was not avail we always used the old Kerosene lantern .The chicks huddled around it and were just fine sometimes if it got real cold we would put 3 or 4 lanterns with them.Just rememmber your dealing with flameable and if you do something stupid you could burn up the place.Fill lantern with Kerosene Only, no gas or Diesel.And remember if the wick is adjusted too high it will smoke like crazy...cva34

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by