day old chicks and care

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Quailbuddy, May 17, 2010.

1. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Hi ya'll , my ag teacher is raising chicks for our biology class but she put the 30 eggs in a couple weeks ago . . . she was hoping that with parent approval and signed permission the kids could take a couple chicks home to raise as laying hens but our school is out in a few weeks so they wont hatch by then and No one is interested . . . except for me lol [​IMG] She has a mixed assortment and I am thinking about picking out 5 when they hatch. I am a family friend of my teacher so when schools over and she takes the bator home she said when they hatch i could have as many as i like. my question is she has a few blue & green eggs in the bator . . so assuming there EE's or ameracaunas I def. would like some . . how do i tell which ones they are when they hatch? Also what do they need right away when i bring them home ? Thanks everyone ! I am so excited ! My sister will also be getting a few as her birthday surprise [​IMG] her birthday is on the last day of school so it will be just in time [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. watersoflethe

watersoflethe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    EE's have green legs most of the time that's probably the easiest way to tell the difference

when you bring them home they are going to need a brooder. they are going to be young so they still need a heat lamp and access to fresh water and chick starter feed constantly.

good luck and have fun chicks are addicting.

3. fastpat

fastpat Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Take a look at this for tips on caring for day old chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by