Day old chicks any tips are picking Hens out?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Joe.G, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Hi, We are getting Barred Rocks, Black Sex links and Easter Eggers, They are coming from Hoover Hachtery, Any tips are checking to see if there Pullets or Roosters?

I ordered 30 Hens mixed between the breeds above, Any tips are checking to see if they are Hens? I know it's hard to tell but are they any thing to look for? Feather color? skin Color? thank

2. bigchiefhoho

bigchiefhoho Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    Did you order straight-run or pullets? If you ordered pullets, they'll all be hens. If you ordered straight-run, the black sex-links will be easy to tell. The females will be solid black, but the males will have a white spot on their head. For the barred rocks and easter eggers, you could try feather sexing (google it, I'm not totally sure how it works), but you'll probably just have to wait until they're old to know for sure.

3. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    I ordered pullets But that doesn't mean some roosters wont be mixed in. Is that a Def for the Sex links?

They said the extras will be Pullets and they will be one of the breeds I have chosen. Is there a good site that I could go to so I can tell the diffrent chicks that I have gotten apart?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  4. Jessshan8

Jessshan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Kalispell, Mt
    The Barred rocks will be black with white spots, the black sex links will be all black with roos having only one white spot on it's head, the rest will be EE's
    The barred rocks will be easy to sex at just a couple weeks. the males having a wider gray barring causing them to be much lighter than the pullets.
    ****NOTE***** most if not all hatcheries only guarantee a 90% rate on the sexing. So out of ten chicks it is likely you will get one roo.

5. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    If they are vent sexing them I wonder how they mess up then, Is it because they are rushing or don't check everyone?

6. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

cuz living critter move and might be put into or jump into the wrong bin. also some look iffy, instead of dumping them into the straight run bin they take the best guess.

not like these guys are equipped like...rats or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by