Day old chicks eyes swollen shut

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amaliayosa, Apr 17, 2008.

1. amaliayosa

amaliayosa Chillin' With My Peeps

One of our day old chicks has both of its eyes swollen shut, one worse then the other. I dabbed a q-tip with warm water and it managed to open one eye, but the other is pretty swollen.
    Can I put antibiotic ointment on its eyes?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    You can try using Terramycin Eye Ointment. Don't use just regular antibiotic cream, unless you know it is ok. I don't.

Can you see anything stuck in her eye? Try a warm saline flush on the eyes. Or just warm water is ok, too.

3. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Not saying it is, But this is the way Staph infection shows its self in baby chicks

4. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We've had a few chicks with eye problems like that. Terramycin eye gel, and, if necessary, water soluble terramycin in the water, always seems to clear this up. You can get the eye gel at most feed stores or TSC. Wash the eye with eye wash for people you get at the drug store, twice a day, then administer the gel. Our chicks always acted like they thought this felt good, and it is an easy procedure. After the eyes open, continue with the washing and apply the gel around the outside of the eye (it will seep into the eye) for another day or two.

5. amaliayosa

amaliayosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks everyone, off to get that wash and eye ointment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by