1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day old chicks! Need help figuring out breeds!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Gemleaf, May 5, 2016.

1. Gemleaf

Gemleaf Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2016
    Hey y'all! I bought this broody hen on Craigslist a few weeks ago with some hatching eggs and yesterday 7 babies hatched. The broody hen is a orphington, but she's not the biological mom to any of the chicks. I need help figuring out the chicks breeds. These are the breeds she says she has in her flock; easter eggers, spec sussex, polish, silky, barred rock, orpington, Rhode Island Red, and gold laced wyndottes. Most of them should be crosses of these.

Here's a picture of the eggs. [​IMG]

And these are the chicks.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one was the first to hatch and for sure came out of one of darker brown eggs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  2. Angie8eggs

Angie8eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2012
    First chicks could be a buff Orpington
    Last pic a Wyandotte. I am just really guessing here. I keep going back and forth [​IMG] But they sure are cute!!!!

3. Angie8eggs

Angie8eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2012
    The second to last one a Polish or Silkie mix. I can't wait to see what they start to turn into. ;)

4. Serenity06

Serenity06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    South Alabama
    The fourth one is most likely a Speckled Sussex. The two black ones with white on their head and wings are probably Barred Rock mixes. The first one could be Buff Orpington. They're all adorable. :)

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  5. Serenity06

Serenity06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    South Alabama
    Keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by