DAY OLD CHICKS-NO CHICK STARTER-HELP!

tonkatuff

Songster
11 Years
Apr 29, 2008
Orange County NY
My chicks came early & I only have layer pellets...I am running out to the feed store but is there ANYTHING I can give them until then?

Mojo Chick'n

Empress of Chickenville
11 Years
Mar 8, 2008
Republic of Chickenville
Quote:If you are going to get feed today (within the next few hours) I wouldn't sweat it, just put some water in there for them and go get feed - they won't perish before ya get back.

meri

ncgnance

Songster
12 Years
Aug 22, 2007
Iredell County, NC
How far is it to the feed store? They should be just fine until you get back, unless the store is 2 days away. Chicks will be fine for 2 or 3 days.

Hens_And_Chicks

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Ohio
Yep - put the water in their brooder, dip their beaks to accustom them to the water and get them drinking and they will be just fine without food for even another day.

You're good - stop panicking now

geareduplyn

Songster
11 Years
Jun 2, 2008
Salley SC
When I was younger we stared all our chicks on rolled oats and gradually weaned them over to the home ground starter feed mix we used. The oatmeal is a good thing to know in case of an emergency such as tonkatuff has.

tonkatuff

Songster
11 Years
Apr 29, 2008
Orange County NY
THANKS EVERYONE! So they were fine by the time I got back but boy were they excited about that chcik feed! These are my 1st "baby babies" as last year i bought them when they were a few weeks old already... so worried I'll lose some... they are a mixed flock and one breed(delawares) is much bossier than the others, pecking & trampling some of the others! They keep it up & they will be 4-sale!

Top Bottom