1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

DAY OLD CHICKS-NO CHICK STARTER-HELP!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tonkatuff, Mar 17, 2009.

1. tonkatuff

tonkatuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Orange County NY
    My chicks came early & I only have layer pellets...I am running out to the feed store but is there ANYTHING I can give them until then?

2. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:If you are going to get feed today (within the next few hours) I wouldn't sweat it, just put some water in there for them and go get feed - they won't perish before ya get back.

meri

3. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Oatmeal. Not the instant kind though. Just plain old Quaker Rolled Oats.

4. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    How far is it to the feed store? They should be just fine until you get back, unless the store is 2 days away. Chicks will be fine for 2 or 3 days.

5. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Yep - put the water in their brooder, dip their beaks to accustom them to the water and get them drinking and they will be just fine without food for even another day.

You're good - stop panicking now [​IMG]

6. buckeye chickens

buckeye chickens Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2008
    Ohio
    a boiled egg mashed up will work .

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

scrambled eggs should keep them happy until you get chick starter

8. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    When I was younger we stared all our chicks on rolled oats and gradually weaned them over to the home ground starter feed mix we used. The oatmeal is a good thing to know in case of an emergency such as tonkatuff has.

9. tonkatuff

tonkatuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Orange County NY
    THANKS EVERYONE! So they were fine by the time I got back but boy were they excited about that chcik feed! These are my 1st "baby babies" as last year i bought them when they were a few weeks old already... so worried I'll lose some... they are a mixed flock and one breed(delawares) is much bossier than the others, pecking & trampling some of the others! They keep it up & they will be 4-sale!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by