Day old chicks- possible illinesses?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Plant Lady, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Plant Lady

Plant Lady Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2013
    Hi I tried to delete this post but can't figure out how. The two sick chicks died soon after I got them so disregard this post. :(
    Blessings ~Misty

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If these are day old chicks from a feed store, then if they were acting "sick" they are likely suffering from shipping stress.

Some will pull through and others not, from my experience. You can dip the beaks of the ones too weak to drink every hour in the water, so as to encourage them. You can use the sugar water recipe for 24 hours or so:
    https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chickcare.html
    There is a super stressed recipe also near the bottom of the page.

I hope they stay healthy for you.

Generally the chicks coming from hatcheries will be healthy from my experience, if they survive the shipping stress. I am assuming the feed store had them shipped in from a hatchery.

3. Plant Lady

Plant Lady Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2013
    Thank you! I helped these three sick ones to drink and they did and two of them even ate. Sadly though two died last night and I got one left from the sick bunch that is looking great except she keeps shaking her head which then knocks her to the ground then she looks like she tries to sleep. To me its almost like a little chicken seizure if i had to describe what I thought. Or like she has ear mites from my experience with dogs. These are from a hatchery and the store always has very healthy ones. My other 5 I bought are doing great as are the 5 I bought last year. I cried when the little ones died but mu husband assured me they would of and other people told me at least the chicks got love and did not die in the store that night. I got a soft spot for animals. I will keep reference to that information you passed along!!! Do you think this shaking of this last one is from stress too? I'll add some sugar into their water now to help them. I appreciate your time helping me!!

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You are welcome.

I am sorry for your losses. It is very hard to lose them at any age, but seems especially to tug at my heart when they are so little.

The head shaking I have seen before in day olds on occasion and sadly when they get like that- almost in a trance- I have never seen them make it. But hopefully your little chick will make it!

The only other thing I may suggest is some people get some poultry vitamins and try those. They sell them at the feed store. I would not keep them on the vits permanently though, and I probably would not add the vits at the same time as the sugar. I actually have never given vitamins to poultry. So I have no experience with that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by