Day old chicks... what temp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheBajan, Mar 25, 2018.

1. TheBajan

TheBajan Chirping

Mar 18, 2018
    Davisburg, Michigan
    We picked up 6 Lavender Orpington chicks this afternoon that hatched this morning. I'm trying to make sure I have the right temp for them. They stay huddled under the heat lamp without energy and just want to sleep. If I wake them they run around a bit and even eat and drink but then cuddle up again and sleep. If I remove the heat lamp, they wake up, eat, drink, and act like normal chicks pecking and chirping. Once I replace the lamp, they head over to the pile and go back to sleep. I have the temp at 95. Is this normal one day old behavior? We have 21 chicks we picked up at 5 days old who have not behaved this way and are now 13 days old. They are in a separate brooder. Thanks. I'm afraid of them getting too cold but also of them being too hot.

2. 95°F and then every week drop it 5°F. Day old chicks sleep a lot, they're still recovering from hatching. Just make sure they're all eating and drinking at some point, otherwise sleeping is okay :)

ChickNanny13 and TheBajan like this.
  3. Spartan22

Spartan22 Crowing

Sep 2, 2014
    NE Ohio
    They just hatched so their tendency is sleep a lot under the mother hens warmth 90-95* in a day or 2 they will be doing more exploration and eating and pooping and stretching and sleep. Make sure it’s 95* on their floor level.
    I use the indoor outdoor thermometer with metal prove laying on the brooder floor below the heat source to be sure of the temps at their level. Drop the temps 5* less every week till it hits 70-75 by 6-8 wks they don’t need the heat source.

ChickNanny13 and TheBajan like this.
  4. TheBajan

TheBajan Chirping

Mar 18, 2018
    Davisburg, Michigan
    Thank you both. Yes, I have the metal thermometer on the floor under the light. They actually sleep partly on top of it. I'm just a bit paranoid since I really don't have a clue what 'normal' chick behavior is. So, I will try to get some sleep now. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: