1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crooked stripe, Feb 19, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I understand that all the adds read day old baby chicks. Do hatcheries actually just ship day old birds or do they sometimes through in 2-3 day old chicks. The reason I ask is I have 3 buff orp chicks of the 10 I ordered that look bigger and further developed. More feathers, larger, more advanced combs and so on. Have others had such experiences or do some chicks just grow, mature faster than others?

Just to through in while posting I received my Chicken Health Handbook this morning. Great reading and very easy to understand. I would recommend it to everyone just starting in this addicting hobby. John

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've always understood that they just ship day olds because as soon as they hatch they can ship as they do not need food or water for 3 days and live off their yolk sacs to survive shipment....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by