Day old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nelbell78, Aug 8, 2014.

1. nelbell78

nelbell78 New Egg

Aug 8, 2014
    Hi everybody, I'm new to the site and am looking for some advice. I have had 3 chickens for just over a year and one recently went broody. She had six eggs that I got from a friend with a roo, but only one hatched. I bought a few day old chicks from the local farm so as to give her a few extra babies ( and to be honest to share some of the burden of being so 'loved' by my very excited children) Jenna (mum) has sat on them all happily, but has made no move to take them out of the nest. I took away her dud eggs, do I need to encourage her out? The chick were hatched is 4 days old now so I really think it will need something to eat and drink soon!
    Many thanks!

2. julesisthehen

julesisthehen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    The chicks at the very least do not eat for 2 days after hatching because of the nutrients they absorbed from the egg. Your hen will instinctively know this and will take them out of the nestbox when she is ready. If your nestbox is above the ground, so the chicks don't fall out, you may want to put up a ramp so they can get in and out. The hen may also start sleeping on the floor if it is too hard for the babies to get back up the ramp. She will take good care of them:)

3. nelbell78

nelbell78 New Egg

Aug 8, 2014
    Thank you, she did take them out and had been looking after them well. One of the chicks has been all puffed up over the last few days. It's chest is swollen and feels full of air. Has anyone else experienced this? It's eating and drinking well, doesn't deem to be in pain, but the swelling is getting bigger everyday! It's very odd.

4. Moonthistle57

Moonthistle57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by