Day old chicks?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by flyrod, Oct 19, 2008.

1. flyrod

flyrod New Egg

Oct 19, 2008
    How much space would I need for 50 baby chicks with 1 250 watts red heating light? I built a 4 x 8 box with plie wood. Would that be enough room for them?

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    My gosh, yes. For a time anyhow! They should be good for about 4 weeks in something that big then they may get a bit anxious.

I put 2 lights in my brooder for 78 chicks but they stayed hot most of the time. My chicks seem to enjoy it a bit cooler than recommended but I always give them a very warm end of the brooder with food and water at both ends. That way the cold blooded ones can stay where it is warmer and the hot chicks can go where they are cooler but still have lots of food and water. My last chicks started sleeping up on the sides of the brooder by 4 weeks old so I moved them outside. This time of year I can't do that.
    Make sure you have something bigger for them by 5 weeks old or they will start picking at each other.
    Good luck and enjoy![​IMG]

3. flyrod

flyrod New Egg

Oct 19, 2008
    thanks so much for the reply. i just joined a few minutes a go. i am so glad to be a part of the team and backyard ckickens. i love this sight. agian thanks.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Welcome!

Sounds like you've already got a good start.

There are lots of intelligent folks on here who will help with questions in the future.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by