Day old Cream Legbars. Boys or Boy and Girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AlmaB, Aug 23, 2013.

1. AlmaB

AlmaB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2013
    Southern California
    Chick #1[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chick #2
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/conte
    nt/type/61/id/5933980/width/200/height/400
    [​IMG]

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    I found this.

"The male Cream Legbar chicks have a pale dot on their head and have little or no eye barring. The female Cream Legbar chicks, the hens, have a dark brown or black stripe on their head which continues down the body with clear eye barring."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream_Legbar

That seems to indicate the two brown ones are female, right?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  3. AlmaB

AlmaB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2013
    Southern California
    Hi Bullitt, there is two pictures of each chick, so both brown ones are the same chick. I am not sure on that one because I feel that is an in between! :(
    The second one looks like a boy to me.

4. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    I know the Cream Legbar is an autosexing breed, but I guess they are not as easy to identify as say Red Sex Links or something.

Based on the description I found, I would say the brown one is female and the light one is male. But I do not know for sure.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I wonder if they are both males. I thought the females should have a more solid stripe down the back of the head... so even with the eye barring the darker one still has pretty big white patches on its head. From what people have said, it does depend on lines somewhat with some being more obvious.

6. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    The first chick is male.

The second chick does not look like a cream legbar. Where did you get them from?

7. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    Females have a defined chipmunk pattern and a dark V shape on their heads. You do not have a female.
    [​IMG]pic copied from greenfirefarms

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  8. AlmaB

AlmaB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2013
    Southern California
    I got them from a reputable breeder in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. She claims to have the Green Fire Farms linage. :/

9. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    Edited to delete because I was going to comment on the light colored chick but second guessed myself.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  10. AlmaB

AlmaB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2013
    Southern California
    Hi, I contacted the breeder I bought the eggs from since out of the 7 I incubated, only those two made it [​IMG] this is the answer I got from her:

"Um..,.I believe the light one is a pullet.

Once in awhile legbars will throw a "recessive" "cream" chick. Although it is random, I have heard also, that these "recessive" chicks are all pullets.

I have 2 more large orders to fill plus the one on Ebay. Get ahold of me in October and I will replace your order at that time. Make sure you send your emails for my conformation. You need to send your shipping payment now to reserve. I will send you another 4, so $15.99 will be needed for ship cost.

The chicks are adorable :eek:))
    I'm glad she will send me more eggs to try again as I know she is doing it out of kindness as she is under no obligation to do so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by