Day-old CX chicks and fermented feed question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by KCMOLisa, Sep 2, 2014.

1. KCMOLisa

KCMOLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2014
    Missouri
    I'm picking up 25 Cornish Cross chicks from Cackle on Thursday. I'm getting ready to start the feed fermenting, but I don't know how much I should make. I've never raised meaties so I don't really know how much they will eat at first and I don't want to waste any feed. Can anyone who has been there and done that give me any advice? Thanks! I'm getting so nervous for Thursday!

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  3. KCMOLisa

Aug 17, 2014
    Missouri
    Thanks! I've pretty much read that entire thread, and, yes, it is LOOOONG. I am just wondering if I should start a whole bucket or if I should start off with a smaller amount since they won't be eating as much at first.

4. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That would be a good question to post on the BYC tread I linked because I'm new to this FF thing. I have egg layers and my girls got their 1st taste of it yesterday.

Just wondering from your name...are you around the Kansas City, Mo area? Before moving to FL I used to live about an hour west of there in NE KS.

5. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Hi KCMOLisa, [​IMG] Glad to have you. Fermented feed is near and dear to my heart. Love it. I'd make up a batch that you can feed in 5-6 days. I started with my chicks at a gallon bucket. Later when they started growing I moved up to 5 gallon. 1/2 full. Yes, the meat birds thread is long but all the essential knowledge is in Tikktocs thread. We'll be happy to answer any questions. My oldest birds are 5 mo old and are started by day 2 or 3. Seriously the sooner to get them on it the better.

6. KCMOLisa

Aug 17, 2014
    Missouri
    Thanks, Linda. That gives me an excuse to eat the last of the ice cream in the 1 gallon bucket I have in the freezer! I'll start with that and see how much they eat. I think I'm going to just feed it to them from the time I bring them home. I might sprinkle a little dry on top just to get them going.

NorthFLChick, I live about an hour and a half south of Kansas City now, but I grew up there. Most of my family still lives there. Where did you live? Lawrence area?

7. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Yep, right outside of Lawrence! When I saw your name I had a flashback to hearing "K C M O...Kansas City Mo", lol. We were practically neighbors and didn't know it [​IMG]

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Yep, right outside of Lawrence! When I saw your name I had a flashback to hearing "K C M O...Kansas City Mo", lol. We were practically neighbors and didn't know it [​IMG]

9. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming

10. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by