Day Old Dove Help!

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by jnbelknap, Mar 13, 2016.

1. jnbelknap

jnbelknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2014
    Arroyo Grande, Ca
    My neighbor just brought me a baby dove who fell from a nest after bluejays attacked her. We cannot find the nest to put her back, and the bluejays wouldn't make it inviting anyway. She may be a day old or two. She smells like a just hatched chicken.

She seems to have a full crop. I have called the local wildlife rescue. But what do I do in the meanwhile??? I have chickens and ducks, so I have chick starter here. I also have a bottle fed kitten right now, so I have that meal replacement.

I have the dove in a box with pine shavings and a red heat lamp. I also have a shallow water bowl. I feel helpless, and I have no idea what I am doing.

What do I do? What can I feed her and how?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I would feed her warm egg yolk for now in a syringe. Add some warm chicken starter in the mix as time goes on. If you have no chicken starter I would suggest adding a bit or corn or oat meal after about a week. I personally would refrain from feeding bread too much could cause the bird to become crop bound. Try to feed the bird after his crop has become completely empty and the squab is ravenous.

Here are some videos on the subject

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hand+feeding+squabs

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  3. loveydovey

loveydovey New Egg

Mar 18, 2016
    Do you still have the dove?

4. jnbelknap

jnbelknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2014
    Arroyo Grande, Ca
    I do not. I called the local wildlife rescue, and they came and picked her up. They had someone who had done it before. I hope she makes it!

1 person likes this.
  5. loveydovey

loveydovey New Egg

Mar 18, 2016

Oh good! You did the right thing :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by