Day old hatchling.. what is it? Pics attached

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickiemom25, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    these are foster eggs.. no idea what the parents actually were.. most likely a mutt... any ideas/ I know they have some barred rocks and there is a white spot on the head...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. its extremely hard to tell at a day old
    wait a few months

3. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    Black with white spot on top of the head is a barred rock... but if there are other breeds there, it could be a mix. You didn't mention what they have except barred rocks.

4. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I currently have a white chick with a black spot on its head and I have NO barred rocks, and neither did the person I got the rooster dad from! [​IMG] The rooster dad was a single combed crele, probably resulted from Dominique and buff Orp cross, but Dom was a few generations back. He keeps his nicer purebreeds separated, but he has a very large pen of lesser quality pure and several generations of mutts.

You may never know what exactly your baby is, but b/c it is black with a white dot, it definitely has black barred genes, so it has some barred rock in there somewhere (or a cuckoo colored bird, or other barred, but you said barred rock was a possibility.) Your chick will likely be black and white barred, with possibly some other colors mixed in depending on what his parents looked like. Hard to say other than that. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by