Day old ID

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mbrock, Dec 21, 2014.

1. mbrock

mbrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2014
    Sw Fla
    We ordered 15 day old chicks. We only wanted 7 so a friend added 6. The order got to the min order of 15. I asked if the hatchery could label the breeds, they cannt. They told us that we should be tell them apart when we get them(March 2). I have been looking at pics of the breeds and most I do think that we can tell them apart. When I get them I will be posting pics for do help.[​IMG]
    This is what we have coming.

2. mbrock

Sep 12, 2014
    Sw Fla
    The silver laced polish
    One Sussex
    Oliver egger
    Ancona
    Golden laced Wyandotte(one)
    Barnevelder
    We are going to spilt the rare ones if she has room if not then we will take them. My son picked what he wanted. He takes care of them so I let get what he wanted. He knows that the polish may have issues fitting in.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  3. Wishapup

Wishapup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    Good luck! Some factors that may help you with ID are leg color, down color, and comb type.

The Polish's top hat should be pretty easy to distinguish!

4. mbrock

Sep 12, 2014
    Sw Fla
    I'm alittle worried about the assorted ones. It doesn't really matter, the Olive egger is the the one my son really wants, but if my friend gets her and raising until she lays I'm not going to ask for her back. He wanted a Jubilee Orpington but I talked him in to the Sussex, they look similar and they are smaller and comes with a much smaller price tag.

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    The Estes hatchery site has some of the nicest day old chick photos that can help clear a number of the breeds:
    http://www.esteshatchery.com/gallery.html

Then go to the Feather site and look at individual breeds.
    Ancona: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Anc/BRKAncona.html

Barnvelder: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Barnev/BRKBarnev.html
    Barnevelder should be a darker chipmunk than the Speckled Sussex, SS should have beige/pink legs (should although hatchery quality can vary) and the Barnevelder appears to have more dark yellow

Speckled Sussex: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sussex/BRKSussex.html

The hatchery should have some pics as well.

I do think you'll be able to tell them apart mostly....hopefully they used Ameraucanas in the Olive Egger combination so the beard/muff will be a dead give-away if they come out looking chipmunky or dark.

If you can't figure it out, definitely post a new thread here, and likely somebody can help.

Lady of McCamley

6. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with everyone here. When you get the chicks, please post pictures if you have trouble identifying them! [​IMG]

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
  8. mbrock

Sep 12, 2014
    Sw Fla
    Thank you. We are getting excited and there is still some much time from now. It's fun just to look and learn. We are starting the new coop the day after Christmas so the new and old girls will have plenty of room. I will post the pics even if we get it figured out to share in the excitement.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  9. ochochicas

ochochicas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2014
    Washington State
    The olive egger could have any number of color combinations, but it should be the one in the box with a pea comb. My olives are Cream legbar crosses though and they have regular combs.

10. mbrock

Sep 12, 2014
    Sw Fla
    Thank you. I'll post the day I get them..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by