Day-old Poult not Eating/Drinking

hickory31

Hatching
Apr 28, 2022
This little guy showed up on our driveway last night, following us and the dog around. It was getting late and I was afraid he might get eaten or run over, so we brought him inside. He has a box with heat lamp, I dipped his beak in the water, and mistakenly set chick starter in there thinking he was a chick (it has been removed now and he did not eat any). He pooped once last night and once this morning. The box is about 88 degrees with a heat lamp.

All he has done is sleep. We dip his beak in sugar water regularly, he shakes his head but does not open his beak. We tried raw egg yolk, same thing. He perks up when we pick him up, but otherwise doesn't move around on his own. His chirping was soft and regular until this morning, he is no longer chirping.

What should I be doing? Can he be force fed? With what and how? I'm afraid he is so lethargic now that even if we provide proper food, he isn't going to eat it.

These photos were last night

Attachments

• 20220428_171755.jpg
    20220428_171755.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220428_091905.jpg
    20220428_091905.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 5
Hoping the little guy is hanging in there, maybe just keep him warm & try to get some electrolytes/yolk into him - can try using a liquid syringe to put a drop into his mouth. Hoping for the best!

Back
Top Bottom