Day old Serama chick can't see?

Weeg

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Yesterday morning, 4 Serama eggs hatched under my broody. Out of 15 eggs, (half of which I put in my bator, half went to her) I got 5 healthy chicks! One survived out of the half in my bator, so now Sunny is doing an amazing job raising 5 adorable fluffy nuggets. :)
I love this broody because she trusts me. She allows me to lift her up and hold/inspect her babies, which is perfect because I can socialize the babies for future check ups, and easily inspect them now. I'm concerned about the one of the babies in particular. When mom gets up and moves to show her babies the feed, 4 peeping, fast, tiny, excited babies follow and eat the feed she drops on the ground. She clucked loudly to show them everything. This little guy stays behind.
I found him sitting on the ground were Sunny used to be sitting, and he's swinging his head back and forth like he's looking for everyone, but not following. I also noticed that he has low energy and a slightly swollen eye lid. When I pic him up and set him on the ground, instead of scurrying around with the other chicks, he lays down and falls asleep. If he's really close to or touching mom he make's his way under her. When he's under mom I can see him preening and such, so he's not totally weak, just confused with low energy almost.
When I found him not following mom, but looking around like he was wondering were she went I started to wonder if he could even see. I picked him up and did a "flinch test" for my own personally experiment. I took my finger and moved it quickly towards his eye as if I was gonna peck him. He didn't flinch on either eye. I accidentally bopped him on the head once because of it.
Can this baby see? I'm gonna give him soon Nutri-drench today to see if that helps his energy level, but I'm concerned that he's not eating for drinking. He just huddles under mom. I know his yolk sack will last him for a day or two, but of he doesn't start eating there will be a problem. I can get photos of his eye lid as well, but have to wait for my phone to charge first. Its not that swollen, but the edge just seems slightly bigger maybe?
Thanks for your suggestions, I've read threads about adult chickens who have had long lives even though they're blind, but how would I teach this little chick? Thanks for any suggestions.

Weeg

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Jul 1, 2020
My Coop
My Coop
I just gave him some Nutri-Drench on a dropper. Placing the drop at the end of his beak, and got him to drink a little bit. He's back with momma and the other wee-ones.
I also noticed he keeps his eye's closed a lot of the time. If I pick him up he'll open them, but close them after a few seconds. Not sure if this is because of his low energy, or if its because he may not be able to see anyway. Interested to hear your thoughts. :)

Last edited:

Weeg

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Jul 1, 2020
My Coop
My Coop
@Wyorp Rock @MGG @Eggcessive @azygous
His energy is definitely better today, when I picked him up to examine him this morning and set him back down, he stood instead of laying down. He's also doing a better job following mom, though he makes a lot of loud peeps and moves slowly when following. Of course, this makes mom cluck louder and he seems to follow better when she does.
His energy isn't great, when he's out from underneath her he just stands there with his eyes closed. I haven't seen him eat or drink and today he will be 2 days old. Do you think he may be blind? If I can catch momma getting up and moving the babies again I'll get a video and see if I can get it to upload to Vimeo. Thanks for any suggestions.

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
I would continue the Nutridrench daily, and take it aside to feed and water it briefly a couple of times a day. Mix a little wet feed and egg yolk for it. I like to sprinkle a few crumbles of feed on some paper towel around their feet as well. Dipping the beak into the water a few rimes is safer than giving water with a dropper. Good luck.

Weeg

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Jul 1, 2020
My Coop
My Coop
I would continue the Nutridrench daily, and take it aside to feed and water it briefly a couple of times a day. Mix a little wet feed and egg yolk for it. I like to sprinkle a few crumbles of feed on some paper towel around their feet as well. Dipping the beak into the water a few rimes is safer than giving water with a dropper. Good luck.
Thank you! I did dip his beak yesterday to try to show him were the water was, though he didn't seem to figure it out. I'll continue Nutri-Drench and try to get some food and water in him. Thank you for the response! I'm really glad hi energy is up some as well. I'll keep this thread updated.

Weeg

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Jul 1, 2020
My Coop
My Coop
ARGHHH! I just offered him some water and wetted down feed, he was able to take a few drinks by himself, but when I took him to the house to give him some Nutri-Drench, I watched a louse crawl over this head!!!! NOOO!
Sunny probably had them, and gave them to the little ones. How do I treat 2 day old chicks for lice?? I only have Permethrin powder because the feed store only sells the spray thats mixed with Petroleum Distillate. Normally I would put the dust in a bag, put the chicken in the bag and when they flapped there wings it would get all over them. I can't do that with 2 day old chicks. Idea's?
Maybe I'll start another thread for the separate topic.

Last edited:

azygous

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
Do you have an empty condiment plastic squeeze bottle? Honey or catsup or mustard often come in these type bottles. Or you can buy them at Walmart where they shelve the kitchen gadgets.

Fill one with the permethrin powder and use it to squeeze a little powder around the neck and vent areas of the chicks. Then rub the powder into the down so the skin is well covered. Add a little under the wings and rub that around to coat the sides of the chick.

That way, dust getting into the respiratory system of the chick should be very minimal.

Weeg

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Jul 1, 2020
My Coop
My Coop
Do you have an empty condiment plastic squeeze bottle? Honey or catsup or mustard often come in these type bottles. Or you can buy them at Walmart where they shelve the kitchen gadgets.

Fill one with the permethrin powder and use it to squeeze a little powder around the neck and vent areas of the chicks. Then rub the powder into the down so the skin is well covered. Add a little under the wings and rub that around to coat the sides of the chick.

That way, dust getting into the respiratory system of the chick should be very minimal.
I can definitley find an old squeeze bottle that I can use, this is a good idea. I already rubbed some dust into their down a moment ago, but next time I dust I will definitely use this method, it sounds much safer.
To minimalise gettgin dust in their faces, I dipped my fingers into the powder and rubbed my fingers down their backs, necks, wings and belly.
Thank you for this info! Hopefully I can get rid of the pesky bugs soon.

Weeg

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Jul 1, 2020
My Coop
My Coop
Something else I noticed related to Rusty's eys. (I've named this little guy Rusty. He has a rust colored patch on his head, and his first days for life have definitely been a bit Rusty. :)) They're huge! They literally pop out away from his head, and are much bigger then the other chicks eyes. I have a photo that shows some of the description.
One of his siblings eyes-
IMG_9408.jpg

Rusty's eyes-
1626061491233.png

Not sure if its just a bantam thing as I've seen some bantams, (Cochin bantams in particular) that have the large bulging eyes. If he really is blind, not sure if this signals anything or not. I did watch him walk into the waterer today when trying to walk towards mom.

Weeg

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Jul 1, 2020
My Coop
My Coop
Rusty took 2 sips of water all by himself this morning! When he's up and moving, he moves a bit faster as well, and keeps his eyes open a bit longer. 50% of the time when he's out from under mom he just stands there with his eye closed, but when he moves around he's looking much better! He still wont eat anything which is concerning, but at least he's getting fluids. Today he will be 3 days old.

Top Bottom