day old silkie chick tucking head, rolling

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mario2girls, Dec 1, 2007.

1. mario2girls

mario2girls Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2007
    this chick hatched last night, was fine, now tucking its head under its stomach and rolling, will stand and then rolls, what should i do, what should i be using and how much if it is dosing,,,thank you,,,,

2. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Treating LimberNeck / CrookNeck in Silkies

I totally agree with the info in the links I listed below. It is a great post.
    And the only thing I can add is that besides a head injury from a bump or an otherwise harmless peck that was just a bit to rough in the wrong spot.
    I have seen this condition come on suddenly from a bird being totally shocked/frightened/stress
    and also from what some of us think may be a lack of something in the diet. Possible a lack of protein among other things,
    so I always suggest that Silkie owners give little to no cracked corn to Silkies as it has very little nutritional value
    and corn is already present in the feeds we buy.
    Speaking of feed in a lot of them the major protein source is Soy and so I also recomend that for snacks people introduce good protein snacks such as
    boiled/scrambled eggs, dried Kitten food "FISH/BEEF", moist dog food that comes in the clear plastic bags, Meal Worms,
    None of this will be expensive to give as protein rich snacks not as a replacement to poultry feed.
    Give in small amounts PLEASE your chickens are NOT Dogs & Cats you do not want to over load them on ingredients that were formulated for another species.
    And I have noticed that by adding an assortment of healthy snacks I see less and less of Crookneck in my flock.
    I like to make a warm wet crumble for my birds.
    I put 2/3 cup of crumbles in a bowl and to that I add 1/3 cup of HOT water with a few drops of liquid Vitamins and a cap full of Molasses and the oil from one Vit E pill.
    Stir it and pour hot liquid into crumbles, MIX FAST you want it evenly moist/crumbly not totally mushy.
    Sit with the baby and encourage him to peck at the food by moving it with your fingers or picking up bits and letting it fall to get their attention. they will try to eat it,
    you may have to hold/support their necks a bit or even hold the bowl up for them. Persistence with helping them eat and drink will make all the difference.
    Also some people like to try and massage the necks.
    I have never had a bird cure its self.
    Do as many of the suggestions listed as you can.
    It will most likely get worse if not treated, Then it is harder to treat because the bird will need more hands on attention.
    You want to avoid it getting to that point.
    Start treatment as soon as possible. PUT V&E in the water.
    GOOD LUCK!

Alan of BrownEggBlueEgg did such a great job on this subject that I thought you all would like to look at his links if you have not all ready seen them.

CROOKNECK - http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html
    VAULTED SKULLS - http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/HoleInHead.html

3. mario2girls

mario2girls Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2007
    thanks i will start right on that, guess i am going to the drug store,,,,and fyi,,,,it isnt one of your chicks, it is mine,,,
    shouldnt have put the egg in the incubator in the first place, it was from my buff hen and a splash roo, just for fun type of thing,,,oh well, got to go save a life,,,thanks for your help wendy

4. MeowilynMonroe

MeowilynMonroe Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Big Island of Hawai'i
    I have a blue silkie, about three-weeks-old, who started to show signs about two-weeks-ago.

After some research online I immediatly switched to organic chic starter, seperated "Hendrix", the inflicted chic, from the other chics, and started giving Hendrix...

1) a tiny crushed piece of human B vitamin,
    2) about half of a 400 IUD vitamin E gel cap, and
    3) mixed it with a couple drops of selenium to help the absorbtion of vitamin E

...each day.

I often mixed it with some mulit-grain baby cereal, soymilk, and egg yolk for nutrition supplimentation.

I was starting to get worried about Hendrix after a week, because his head was always tucked....

But this week...especially today, Hendrix seems almost normal. I am so happy!

Everytime I have checked on him today his head has been up.

I will probably continue treatment for another week.

Good Luck with your chic! Hang in there!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by