Day Old Wyandotte Self-Pecking - Is This Normal?

KateSaintPaul

In the Brooder
May 10, 2018
Hi Y'all,

I'm new to this, so please forgive if I'm making newbie mistakes. I picked up my chicks this morning and have already had to clean a pasty butt. The same chick, a Wyandotte baby, is also self-pecking and pulling out wing fluff. Is this normal, if not, any tips on what to do?

Thanks a million.
Kate

Thanks for the response. She's not causing sores and isn't bleeding. I think the temperature was maybe just a little too warm, so I lifted the heat lamp a little. They all seem to be preening in what I have read seem to be normal ways, so it may just have been her way of adjusting to the new environment.

I'll create a dust bath and a plug of sod, great suggestion.

I do have a coop ready for them, but I understand that they shouldn't be in it for quite some time yet.

Thanks for the response. She's not causing sores and isn't bleeding. I think the temperature was maybe just a little too warm, so I lifted the heat lamp a little. They all seem to be preening in what I have read seem to be normal ways, so it may just have been her way of adjusting to the new environment.

I'll create a dust bath and a plug of sod, great suggestion.

I do have a coop ready for them, but I understand that they shouldn't be in it for quite some time yet.

What's your location/weather and temperatures? You certainly can brood chicks outdoors if you have electric and a secured coop and run. A lot of us use a heating pad to brood chicks inside and outside. Heat lamps can also be used, but you will need to be extra careful to prevent fires. Something to think about https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...er-picture-heavy-update.956958/#post-14882145

Back
Top Bottom