1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

day olds VS older chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ajlynco, Nov 11, 2011.

1. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    I was planning to get a dozen day-old chicks mid January. However, they'll only be laying a few months before fall/winter sets in again and they slow down or stop. I'd like to start getting eggs ASAP so would I be better off getting some chicks that're older? Do hatcheries even sell older chicks?I'll be getting 6 leghorns, 3 RIRs and 3 BRs. It would sure be nice to start getting eggs this next spring! [​IMG]

2. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    Some hatcheries do sell pullets still in my area, but you have to be able to pick them up. They do not ship. I've seen a couple posting for both chicks and pullets in the last week on Craig's List.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Day olds in mid January will be laying by the middle of June. Then beginning in late September you can add light on a timer.

Rarely do hatcheries sell anything but day-olds. Better to check with breeders in your area who often sell birds of other ages. Sometimes you can find what you want on craigslist. Started pullets are a little rare in January.

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    JMO but I would do yourself a favor and a break and wait. The most desirable time of the year is in the Spring when the weather becomes nicer its easy to care for them, they can go out during the day and back in the brooder at night and then in the spring but not in the winter they can stay out early in the brooder outside after week 4 more than likely bc the temp comes up to the 40 and 50's to put them out. Believe me the 4th week is the key they become terrorists at the age. [​IMG] did I say terrorist yes the little devils transform into a [​IMG] dust every where, the smell and the DUST OMG the DUST[​IMG] Dids I mention the DUST!!!!!

5. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    It depends on what you want. It is nice to raise chickens from day olds and it is a great learning experience! The best thing in raising them from day olds is that you can tame them to come of to you when they are older by holding them as they grow. I personaly would not hatch chicks or have chicks shipped from November through Feburary. It is just to cold here to try to keep them warm and keep them alive.

For older birds I would look on Craigslist for them. Around here people sell them all of the time. I would be Cautious of buying them from Craigslist. Make sure they have all of there feathers, combs are bright red, no runny nose and also make sure there coop that they are in is clean!

Good Luck and [​IMG]

Nate

6. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    SteveBaz- I was just thinking about egg production and getting eggs as early as I could. If I buy day-olds in late winter/early spring they wont be laying till the end of summer and then they'll slowdown or stop during the winter. Thoughts??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by