Day olds with 2 week olds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lonomakana, May 29, 2008.

1. Lonomakana

Lonomakana Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2008
    Pa'auhau, Hawaii
    I have 6 2wk/old chicks (Ameraucana, RIR, and BR). I just got 3 day olds (Barnevelder roo, 2 Buff Orpingtons). I tried putting them in together and the older chicks were very aggressive, pecking at legs and beak. I have them separate now. I think the Barney could survive with the older ones but I was thinking of letting all of the younger chicks build strength for a couple of days before sending them back with the rowdy older ones.

Am I being too protective or not enough?

2. chickiemomma

chickiemomma Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2008
    New City, New York
    I've always kept them separate unless they are within a couple of days of each other when they are young. I don't think yours can be together for another month or two.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  3. Lonomakana

Mar 29, 2008
    Pa'auhau, Hawaii
    Well, I'll keep them in separate brooders, next to each other for the next week. I found some other threads on this topic that were helpful, as well. I'm going to try and convert one of my "rooms under construction" into a big brooder. I'll let the younger ones set up shop first and then let the older ones in after a day or two.

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I don't mix younger chicks with older ones until they get to be about the same size. Introduce them the new ones in a wire cage and then make sure to give alot of distaction when you do introduce.

I just went through this and suspect I was more worried than the chickens were.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=57515

Post #8

Dawn

5. HenniePennie

HenniePennie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2007
    Oregon
    I was taught that if I wanted to keep younger chicks with older ones to take a soft cloth/washcloth pick an older chick and rub the older on with it [to get her/his scent on it] then rub the little ones with cloth. That older one will accept little one/s and not pick on it/them. So far it has worked for me. [​IMG]

Bette

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  6. Lonomakana

Mar 29, 2008
    Pa'auhau, Hawaii
    Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I'll let you know how things go. One of my concerns is that one of the younger ones is the roo that I expect to eventually mate with the older ones. I'd hate for him to be picked on by the ladies and develop a complex. haha

7. Lonomakana

Mar 29, 2008
    Pa'auhau, Hawaii
    Update on the chick integration. I had the two groups of chicks in storage bins next to each other. I began by taking the tops off of the brooders and let the older chicks jump in with the younger ones. The two who would visit were pretty friendly but would end up crying and fleeing when the younger ones pecked at them.

Next step was merging the two flocks. The new brooder is about 4'x8' with two waterers and one feeder. I put the young ones in first and let them get settled, overnight. Then I put the older ones in. No pecking or fighting, but the older birds are definitely scaring the young ones away from the feeder by running or flying at them. I go in to the brooder a couple of times a day and make sure the young ones can eat and drink in peace. Its been several days, and nobody has died, so maybe it will work out. My Barred Rocks are the worst aggressors but I found my baby Buff Orpingtons cuddled up with one of them this afternoon.

So, no pecking or violence, but just bullying.

8. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I have successfully been able to integrate all my new chicks, as long as the space is big enough. They all seem to love each other.[​IMG] It sounds like you had success, so that is great!

We were in Hawaii in February. You live in the land of wonder. I am so envious!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I am a school counselro too)[​IMG]

9. Lonomakana

Mar 29, 2008
    Pa'auhau, Hawaii
    Happy vacation, Horsegirl

Even more peace today with the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by