Day One and temps in the bator jumped to 104!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Berlena, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Berlena

Berlena Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    Near Disneyland!
    So I've been keeping a log of temps in the 'bator since putting them in at 9p last night... Its been right at 100.9 the whole time. Now at some point in the last hour it jumped to 104! I just went and looked and it went back down from 103 to 100.9...now I wonder if my Springfield is very accurate?? I am confused! [​IMG]

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Are there any drafts in the room?

3. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

it's always a good idea to have 2 temp gauges in the bator just for this reason. Incubators do spike on occasion it seems...i had mine g up to 105 for an undetermined period of time 1 day, my eggs still hatched. it sounds like you caught yours quickly enough to not cause damage to the embryos at least i'm told 105 106 is the killing temp.

4. Berlena

Berlena Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    Near Disneyland!
    No drafts at all...it was strange...as I was what!!! Then like 5 minutes later it went down. I do have two thermometers in there but they are different brands...I will get another Springfield to compare.... Things are back to normal so I guess its okay. [​IMG]

5. Delta3013

Delta3013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    Mine does that too sometimes, it's usually caused by an external force, but your eggs should be fine if it wasnt that long, they're more durable than you think. My hen kicked out an egg on day 20 in 40*F all night and I stuck it back under her and it hatched the next day. His name is lucky the silkie.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    it's always a good idea to have 2 temp gauges in the bator

AND WHEN YOU GET 2 DIFFERENT READINGS WHICH 1 DO YOU BELIEVE??? IT STARTS A WHOLE INSTRUMENT "CHICKEN OR THE EGG" QUANDRY.

SO LONG AS THE SPIKE WAS SHORT LIVED EVERYTHING SHOULD BE FINE. IT TAKES QUITE A WHILE TO BRING THE INSIDE TEMPERATURE OF THE EGG UP TO LETHAL POINT. NOW COOK EM LIKE FOR 2 DAYS & YEAH THEY'RE PRETTY WELL DONE FOR...​

7. Delta3013

Delta3013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    Quote:AND WHEN YOU GET 2 DIFFERENT READINGS WHICH 1 DO YOU BELIEVE??? IT STARTS A WHOLE INSTRUMENT "CHICKEN OR THE EGG" QUANDRY.

SO LONG AS THE SPIKE WAS SHORT LIVED EVERYTHING SHOULD BE FINE. IT TAKES QUITE A WHILE TO BRING THE INSIDE TEMPERATURE OF THE EGG UP TO LETHAL POINT. NOW COOK EM LIKE FOR 2 DAYS & YEAH THEY'RE PRETTY WELL DONE FOR...

Hard boiled eggs anyone?? [​IMG] But good luck on them!

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    What Still Air Incubator Are You Using?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by