Day one in the incubator. How do I increase the humidity?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by onemotherslove, Feb 14, 2016.

1. onemotherslove

onemotherslove Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2009
    North Central Texas
    Really this morning I started 9 khaki Campbell eggs in my new incubator. This is my first attempt to hatch duck eggs. I read to have humidity at 55-65% for the first 25 days, but so far I can't get it above 50%. This is a Farm innovators circulated air with automatic turner. Temp is staying around 99.5°. The water slots on the bottom cover are full. What else can I do to raise the humidity?
    [​IMG]

2. Icravepoultry

Icravepoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2015
    Try to put a dish in full, or use a mist bottle

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  3. onemotherslove

Dec 30, 2009
    North Central Texas
    Thanks for your reply! Can I put a small plastic dish on top of the turner? There's certainly room since I only have 9 eggs in there. I just wasn't sure if it would not spill.

4. Icravepoultry

Icravepoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2015
    It might spill. I would put it in the small open space next to the turner

5. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Well I don't know about that but every once in a while u could take a spray bottle and just mist around in there it should raise it it brings mine up when they are hatching

6. onemotherslove

Dec 30, 2009
    North Central Texas
    OK, I guess I need to pick up a mister bottle. The space at the front of the turner is only one inch. I don't have anything small enough to fit in that space. Thanks for y'all's input!

7. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    What about those little like ketchup and mustard bowls for kids to take to school in there lunch they are about an inch u could set in there

8. fresnofarmer

fresnofarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Fresno CA
    Half plastic easter eggs sometimes work as long as they are the ones without holes! And others have placed the lids to baby bottles upside down in the turners as well with water. Just make sure that when you fill them with water you don't fill them to high when it turns all theway one way you don't want it to spill.

9. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Honestly, 45-55% humidity is best during incubation anyway. I would leave your set-up as is and just monitor air cell size. If your air cells are too small, you need lower humidity. If they are too big, you need to raise it. Here is a pretty good chart for duck egg air cell size on different days of incubation:

[​IMG]

10. onemotherslove

Dec 30, 2009
    North Central Texas
    It is now day 6. I just candled a couple of the eggs and discovered huge air sacks! Like the ones on day 26-27 on the drawing! I was able to maintain 55-65% during the last 5 days. Should I continue to maintain this humidity, try to boost it, or are these eggs doomed? I could see some veining.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by