Day one........ (lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KDbeads, Nov 26, 2009.

1. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Decided to post pics of my T-day hatch....

The 3 silkies....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The RIR and the BSLs (I have to fix the RIR's toes!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the barnyard mix... betting the blimpy black on with the white on his head id a boy [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SheeReno

SheeReno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    :lol:Arrrgghh all of these cute pics make me want to get more babies!!!

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Ahhhhh....another thing (or several things...lol) to be thankful for today [​IMG]

4. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    [​IMG] How Cute! Congrats

5. sillyaboutchickens

sillyaboutchickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2009
    NH
    They are very cute!

6. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Gorgeous silkie babies!

7. poultrypatch

poultrypatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Rochester
    KDbeads....lovely babies...every one of them !!! Adorable.
    How do you fix the funny foot???? I noticed recently that I have a 10 wk old baby with weird toes like that. Feel terrible because I never noticed it until a few wks ago.
    What are the ??? elastics for ??
    Thanks and good luck with you babies.
    Liz
    Rochester, MA

8. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Rubber bands so I know who is who as they start feathering out [​IMG]

I saw a post on how to fix the feet/curled toes of a chick, I think it was Miss Prissy, in the injuries and cures section a few months back. Band aid the foot to a piece of paperboard, making sure all the toes are straight and the ankle isn't rolled to the side, helps tell the tendons how they are supposed to work. Don't know how this would work in an older chick??

Found the post:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=72885

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Beautiful babies! I bet you're right on the black barnyard mix......he just looks like a boy.

And for the black sex links, looks like you got a girl and a boy. [​IMG]

What did you set your humidity at for lock down? I'm curious cuz they are not gummy. My last one that hatched for my first ever time hatching was pretty gummy.

10. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    My humidity was apparently too high, I had a high mortality rate after candling on day 18. According to the hygro I was at 60 to 65% (adjustment included for being off) But.... thinking I need to calibrate that thing again..... lost at least 6 to drowning [​IMG] Though now I have silkies and hoping they are all girls so I don't need an incubator again. Hubby still wants to buy a nice one so he can hatch more silkies [​IMG]

The silkie that's in the back of the pic is gunky over his wings, just hiding it. He was huge, filled the little egg to the brim (it was a smaller egg than the rest of the silkie eggs), little to NO air cell left when I candled that sucker! About 2 am this morning I noticed he couldn't move himself inside the shell to finish zipping, he was trying so hard he knocked the egg out of the carton it was sitting in! I popped the top off he egg, moistened the membrane that was glued to him and before I could work it loose from his wings he finished hatching the rest of himself into my hand and sat there very impatiently waiting for me to get his wings unstuck, screaming and complaining the whole time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by