Day one on the road to becoming smoke free.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Braclin, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Braclin

Braclin KY Chicken Farmer

Jul 5, 2010
    Owingsville,KY
    I wanted to start a thread for myself as a tracker of my journey to becoming smoke free. I have been a smoker for 14 years and do to enviroment and cost, and health have come to the realization that its time to stop. For everyone the journey is different because no two people are alike. We each have our own reasons for starting and stopping. We also have our own ways of stopping. I'm working through a smoke cessation program through my job. I have a over the phone counseling as well as working through my primary doctor. I started the drug Chantix lastnight. I did my research as well as discussing with my counselor and my doctor and we all agreed that it was the best thing for me to use. I want this thread to be a positive experience for myself as well as the people who may be struggling with quitting themselves. So please post your concerns, and your positive experiences. Thanks for taking the time to be a part of this monumental trial.

Day 1
    Chantix and all seems fine!

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Congrats! Hope you can make it! [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

GO, BRANDON! [​IMG] I'm so proud of you! Wishing you success. I know you'll do this.

4. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Go brandon! I have smoked a few years myself and have been thinkiing of quitting - so yes i am gouing to lurk and use you as my guinea pig. I know you can do it - makes me proud!
    Have heard the Chantix works in different ways for people some with great easy stressfree success - so hope that is how you end up! [​IMG]

5. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Congratulations for taking the plunge. I used to smoke two packs a day. I would have one lit in the ashtray and light another one up!! It had become a subconscious thing for me. SOOO difficult to quit when you don't even have to think about doing it! The house wreaked, my clothes wreaked, and my truck wreaked. I was so addicted to the nicotine that when I would try to quit cold turkey (which had worked twice before for me when I didn't smoke so much and was much younger), I would have mild panic attacks which always resulted in me driving to the store to get smokes.

After tons of research, I decided that Chantix was my last resort and that if I wanted to quit, I had to give it a shot. I set my quit date for two whole weeks after I started taking it. I ended up getting close to running out of cigs after about ten days and just decided not to go get anymore. I took the Chantix for about 6 weeks and then got off of it. I haven't smoked since. That was 4 years ago this past Nov. 18 at 7:30 in the morning [​IMG]. I didn't have a support mechanism, even my husband just thought it would be another failed attempt....and said that on more than one occasion.

Of course, you know that there are side effects. I can't remember all of them right now but I do remember very vivid dreams. But they were cool vivid rather than scarey vivid. Dreamed about people that I had long ago forgotten all about. I would never have remembered them on my own, so that was pretty neat. My husband said I was a bit crazy on it but I told him that *I* wasn't crazy while I was on it, *HE* was, lol! I don't even remember any of the other side effects as I didn't experience anything other than what I've told you.

My first Ah HAH! Moment came one day after eating dinner and probably 3-4 days after I quit smoking while still on Chantix. I ALWAYS had a smoke after eating, ALWAYS. I had just finished clearing the kitchen and gone to the livingroom to sit and watch TV with the hubster. I picked up some crochet that I was working on and two hours laters, I literally jumped in my chair and did the quick little inhalation of breath when I realized I had not even THOUGHT about a cigarette! That, to me, was an absolute miracle.

Best of luck to you with this. You CAN do it, just keep the positive attitude, don't be LOOKING for side effects because sometimes I think people talk themselves into having things like that if that's all they dwell on, and most of all.......GOOD FOR YOU!!! Keep us posted. I am subscribing to your thread [​IMG]

6. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Congraulations!!!

I've been smoke free for 2 yrs and 2 months now myself.
    Just put them down one day and said that I'm saving my cig money for chickens, and that is what I done, bought myself chickens.

7. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Good luck to you, from another former smoker.

[​IMG]

8. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    have most of the people that have posted - Chantix or just cold turkey kind of thing?

9. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Yayay! One of my coworkers is working on quitting. She's been doing really well on E-cigarettes.

10. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Brandon, I'm so gosh darn proud of you and happy for you, all at the same time. [​IMG] I just know you'll be successful! This is something that I know you want very much, and therefore, you will be successful! I have every confidence in you! I hope to be right behind you in the coming year or so. I still have some loose ends in my life to tidy up before I can put more on my plate, you know! [​IMG]

I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers my friend, as you embark on this wonderful journey towards attaining a tobacco free life! Death to the 800 Pound Gorilla!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by