Day one setting shipped eggs...inci with slight odor!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joyous, Aug 20, 2010.

1. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    Got some treasured Buckeye eggs in the mail yesterday, all look beautiful. Let them sit for 8 hours and now they have been in the inci overnight. I am smelling a slight rotten egg scent....[​IMG]. I am afraid to take them out and try to figure which one this soon and ruin my hatch. Also is it possible its some residue on the eggs and it could wear off after a couple of days? I don't want to lose these eggs!

2. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    If you take them out carefully and only for a couple of mins, tops, I doubt any harm would come to the hatch at this stage. You are probably worse off to leave a rotten egg in and have it explode and causing contamination of all others. I would REALLY suggest taking them out for a sniff...it seems far more likely to do damage from leaving it be. Good luck!!![​IMG]

3. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    Thanks! Found one cracked and stinky! Could have been a disaster!

4. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    So glad that you were able to identify it! I've never had that happen (*knock on wood), but have read many of the horror stories on the boards. For such special eggs, you've done the best you could to preserve the hatch. Wishing you lots of little fuzzy butts! [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, maaaan, I know what you mean about "treasured" Buckeye eggs! [​IMG] That's a breed I've wanted to add to my flock since the beginning. (Which is all of 10 months now.... ) Got my incubator already full of other eggs, so it's gonna have to be Spring before I try to locate some Buckeye eggs.

Good luck! And whew! that you caught that one cracked egg!

6. BlueBirdChick

BlueBirdChick On Vacation

Aug 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    awww sorry [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by