Day or 2 old chick real lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MommaSampson, Feb 24, 2013.

1. MommaSampson

MommaSampson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    West Virginia
    I bought a Partridge Rock chick from a local farm store. It seemed fine at first but wouldn't open its eyes often. As the day went on it just kept getting more lethargic and almost non responsive. This morning I thought it had died cause it wasn't moving and was limp when I picked it up but I could see it breathing. I gave it some water and it seemed to perk up. Sometimes it seems fine. It'll run and jump around in the box then all of a sudden it falls over and is real lethargic. Hangs its head too. This is only the second batch of chicks so please don't assume I know anything.

2. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    perhaps provide electrolytes or even simple sugar water. i don't know much when it comes to illness in chickens. i would be strongly inclined to isolate new ones for a month to ensure they don't have something that will ultimately make the rest of your flock sick. finding a way to do isolation isn't easy though.
    hope someone with good knowledge of health issues can give you insight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by