Day six candle and bad results

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChicksinFL, Sep 12, 2011.

1. ChicksinFL

ChicksinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Today was day six candle of 18 shipped bantam cochin eggs. I had already candled on day 3 and 3 eggs were taken out at that time with obvious red rings of bacteria. I was praying the other 15 would show good developement today there were 8 that were iffy on day 3. Upon recandling tonite we tossed 6 more eggs! So out of 18 we only have 9 left I hope they make it to hatch.

2. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    I don't even candle before day 10. I have had some that I thought were blood rings and the first candling turn out to hatch at the end. Its hard to see much before 10.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yeah you are candling way way too soon, candling on day 3 seriously who does that???. I have done day 7 candling and you can see just a little then. Anyway I think you may have wasted some eggs that were good as in your haste. Just leave them alone for awhile before you go to messing with them. Most people set and candle on day 10 you can see and determin very easy what is what, then candle one more time on day 18 as you move to hatch mode. Anyway good luck and please don't say you have 4 more candling sessions left before day 18:rolleyes: [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ChicksinFL

ChicksinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Quote:Actually we do have a lot of candling left since my daughters 4H book requires her to document candling on set days. She's trying to win the award for her book so must fill in all the info and not skip anything in the book. Sorry you don't feel I did the right thing. We did break open the eggs and several were even scrambled from shipping. I was just kinda bummed..and thought I'd share.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Although shipped eggs can be a bummer most times and the hatch rates low, if they candling 4H project was to specificly just candle why didn't you work with some mutt or regular flock batch. Or is it something more you have to do all the way through hatch ??.

WTS I am just wondering why the 4H program would require such a odd task as candling so early, I thought from your original post that you actually wanted to hatch them. It seems so detrimental to the hatching progress to candle so often and wondered why. Good luck though and I hope things work out.

6. kevs-chickadees

kevs-chickadees Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Mesa AZ
    Unfortunately I seem to have the same luck with shipped eggs. I'm getting to the point where I don't want to candle them because of the bad results I'll find.[​IMG] Hope your last nine are winners!

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    It sure is such a waste to work hard to get some good eggs and when shipped they get messed up, Perhaps I should develop the perfect egg shipping contaner for mass sale, that kinda stuff is right up my alley. Folks get so dissapointed when they open those shipped egg boxes and find not all is as it should be.

8. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:Actually we do have a lot of candling left since my daughters 4H book requires her to document candling on set days. She's trying to win the award for her book so must fill in all the info and not skip anything in the book. Sorry you don't feel I did the right thing. We did break open the eggs and several were even scrambled from shipping. I was just kinda bummed..and thought I'd share.

Maybe you could candle and document everything but just keep all the eggs incubating? If you're documenting for a project then you gotta do what you gotta do, but surely nobody's telling you which eggs to keep in and which ones to toss. I'll ditto what everyone else has said - I always get some eggs that I'm sure are dead, I mark them and l;eave them in, and sure enough at least one of them will always go on to hatch...

Good luck with your remaining nine eggs! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by