1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Day three in their new home...too soon to take outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Here chickie chickie!, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Here chickie chickie!

Here chickie chickie! In the Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Day three and my chicks are doing great! It's supposed to be about 90 degrees here and I was thinking of taking them out for a few minutes just to introduce them to the great outdoors. Are they still too young? Of course I'd watch them like a hawk (God forbid one of them is lurking) and would only keep them out for a short time.

2. txmel

txmel Songster

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    i have no idea. i would say it should be ok as long as its warm enough and they dont get way. good luck [​IMG]

3. emys

emys Songster

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    You don't say how old they actually are in your post, but no matter, mother hens take their chicks out at 1 day old. Just be sure they can't run where you can't catch them when they get scared.

4. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Songster

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    I would say its fine However if there not on medicated feed I wouldnt advise it. Cocci comes from feces and dirt when the 2 are combined it can be to much for the immunity system to fight off without aid thus causeing coccidiosis. I medicate my birds for 2 weeks while introducing them to dirt in there brooder this allows them to build that immunity to cocci. after 2 weeks I let them out for free range time.

5. can't get enough chicken

can't get enough chicken Songster

Jun 30, 2010
    I would say it was fine I had a little fence thing handy and i just let them play in that for a few minutes! It is very fun to watch them!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by