1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day two and three dead, how long does Sulmet take to bloody work???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GBov, May 12, 2011.

1. GBov

GBov Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    My chicklets are dieing! They are a mix of silkies, polish crested and one feather duster that was an extra chick. They are half of an order of chicks, our half is in a secure run in our back yard with NO CONTACT with ANY other chickens and the other half lives on a farm with lots and lots of other chickens.

THAT half is fine [​IMG]

Our half is dieing, one chick at a time [​IMG]

I opened one up to find it had bled to death into its intestines. They walk/jump/run/play one moment, dead the next!

So I went to the feed store and they gave me Sulmet to use. It was the only thing they had for coccidiosis.

How long does it take to bloody work???

Over 36 hours after putting it in teh waterer and three more are dead.

Cant take much more of this, these chicks cost the earth and selling half of them were supposed to pay for the showing and what not that has to be done as a 4H project [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I am so sorry. That sounds like Cocci. Have you seen blood in their stool? I had one batch of chicks develop Cocci, and that was when we had a very wet, warm spring. I noticed blood in their stool, and gave them duramayacin in their drinking water right away, then I went and bought some Corid, and they all recovered, never really seeming sick, just the blood in the stool.

Maybe your chicks just had it a bit longer, before you noticed........I believe there is a point of no return with the Cocci. (I believe they're little protozoa (organisms) that feed on the intestines of the chicks......) I have heard that Sulmet works, but I just happened to buy the Corid....It was packaged for bovine, but I called the 800 number on the package and got a doseage from a veterinarian.

So sorry you're going through this, and good luck with the rest of the chicks....

Sharon

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    You MUST eyedropper the sulmet water into them every couple of hours for the first day or so. Once they are feeling better they'll drink on their own.

4. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    I cut the third dead chick open and its intestines were full of blood. It was the first sign of any illness, instead of bloody poops, dead chicks. It seems to have hit so fast they bled to death before they could poop.

Today I have taken them all out of their run and put them onto fresh grass in the A Frame hutch. Cleaned off a few gunky bottoms and had a good look at them all.

The only good news is the blue silkie that I had written off as a dead in a few moments chick - I put it out of the reach of the other chicks and flies and left it to die in peace as it didnt seem to be suffering - has gotten up and is drinking!

I have it and the worst buff silkie in a budgie cage beside the A Frame so they have the company but not the pushing round of being with the others.

This is new to me, always in the past good food, water, shelter and love has kept our chicks healthy but these are the first from a hatchery and they came with caramel colored diaria and pasty butts.........................

Should have given me a clue that trouble was looming but as I said, the ones that went to the farm are just fine [​IMG]

So far we have lost 6 out of 21 [​IMG]

5. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    Quote:They are all drinking fine but I will try to make sure they all drink each time I go out to the sickest ones but its sooooo hard to catch them! Only a few are acting sick, it took me aaaaaaages to catch them all out of hte first run.

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I would get to the feed store and look for Corid powder in the cattle section. If you can't find that, you can also mix their food 50% with powdered milk. This is an old farmers' trick for beating coccidiosis, and it works be coating the intestines and flushing the system. The most crucial thing will be keeping them from having access to poop so they don't reinfest themselves with coccidia oocysts, and that will mean a clean, dry brooder/run/etc. at all times for a bit.

I would encourage you to order Corid from somewhere if you can't find it locally. This is the best way to treat as it's not hard on their gut, whereas the Sulmet is VERY hard on an already compromised system. You can also feed them live culture yogurt to keep the Sulmet from hurting them too badly, but it's just really not the best way to treat if you can order Corid.

[​IMG]

7. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    No one has Corid Powder in my area. It will take two to three days to get here by post. Is it worth my while to order it?

And I am going to move the chicklets in the A Frame every day onto new grass.

8. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:I think it's worth it to get it. You'll be able to take them off the Sulmet. Corid is just Amprolium, which is a Thiamin blocker. It won't hurt them in any way. Moving them is good, and should help, but go ahead and get the Corid...besides, then you'll have it for next time you get chicks!

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with ChooksChick, sulmet is rough on them. Corid also comes as a liquid 9.6% oral solution. You can buy Corid at Jefferslivestock.com or call them. They ship quick.

10. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    Should I be worried about our point of lay flock? They are 5 months old and look the picture of health.

So far so good with the chicklets today, no dead yet.

I am going out about every hour and offering water to the two sickest ones and then trying with the rest. Some take it and some fight so hard that I dont think they need it.

Shall order the Corid in the morning. Thank heavens its payday tomorrow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by