Day zero questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by keystonepaul, Jun 6, 2008.

1. keystonepaul

keystonepaul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    Hobovator 1602n with auto turner and fan
    42 eggs in bator temp 100 humidity 56
    do i need to lower humidity- I assume it will go down naturally and I just won't add as much water and will try to keep it mid 40's or so? What's the best humidity and should I bring it down now or let it come down over the next day/several days??

The holes on the bottom of the styrofoam unit all around the bottom- 4 to 8 or so I forget- I have bator on a towel with newspapers under the towel do I need to have it on a hard flat surface (it's level and stable as is) do they need to be "open" or free of obstruction?? so to speak?

What is fumigation in terms of an incubator?

I have two plug holes on top, one I have taped- plug was missing- will opening them help lower humidity.

Wellsumer, Maran, and Pendensenca eggs (sp?) if you were wondering.
    Thanks for your help and sharing of knowledge. Keystonepaul

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Get it off the towel. It uses the holes on the bottom to circulate air using
    convection.

56 is a little high but after you get it of the towel it should go down. If it doesn't
    you can open the second hole. At day 18 you will probably need to close both holes
    to keep humidity up.

One step at a time... Happy Hatching.

3. keystonepaul

keystonepaul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    Thanks, got my accurite probe in place and secured temp 100.3, humidity 51. It's 1am and I'm up looking at these eggs like it's TV. Gonna be a long three weeks!! Keystonepaul

4. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:Three? Chicken eggs take six weeks to hatch. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  5. marlin

marlin Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Grand Bay, Alabama
    I thought Ideal humidity for incubation was 58-60% then 3 days out raise to 65% well thats what i read on the sticky

6. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:I believe 45% is the goal for the first 18 days for chickens. Ducks may be higher.

Some people don't even pay attention to humidity and have good hatches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by