Day1 Hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by thomascook357, Nov 19, 2010.

1. thomascook357

thomascook357 New Egg

Nov 14, 2010
    I am new here but figured yall might like a look at my incubator and give me any tips if you see a way to better my incubator. Its clear full I fit 183 Coturnix eggs in that baby [​IMG] so very excited cant wait for hatch to come.

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Wow, that's quite a turner you got there. Is it motorized or do you turn it by hand?

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Nice Turning Table. Watch That Lg... They Have A Lil Flaw For Gamebird Eggs... Not Enough Water Surface Area In Their Design... Makes It Hard To Get Higher Humidities Need For Gamebirds, Other Wise They Do Fine. You May Have To Add Wet Sponges/ Diapers To Get And Maintain Higher Humidity. Good Luck With Your Hatch [​IMG]

4. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    [​IMG]
    I agree with JJ. Watch the humidity with those 'bators. I do like that turn table. What did you use to prop the eggs up with?
    Good luck with your hatch.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  5. thomascook357

thomascook357 New Egg

Nov 14, 2010
    I actually tun it by hand i don't mind turning it i just felt having it open to turn all the eggs individually i lost too much heat. Also i actually dont use the water trays in the bottom of the incubator until lock down i put PVC pipe troughs in the top it holds at around 50% humidity then the plan is to use the water holders in the bottom and my troughs during lock down to get the humidity up higher. Hope it works [​IMG] no it should haha and for trays i actually used a sports mans egg tray for those cabinet incubators and then filled in around it with quail cartons with holes cut in the bottom to let air flow around them. Thanks i hope it goes good this is my second try the first time i got seventy eggs off ebay and three hatched i did the float test and alot of them were the "bobbers" so i think shipping killed them [​IMG] so this is round two [​IMG]

6. bryleighs_gmal

bryleighs_gmal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    TN.
    sorry but 183 eggs? wow alot of eggs for that incubator normal hold is 120..thats pushing it..the humidity is a biggie place a sponge inside with them if possible soaked with water will help that hatch rate

7. bryleighs_gmal

bryleighs_gmal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    TN.
    shipping does bring fertility down but i ship out hundreds each week an always get reports back of 70 to 80 % hatch rates...alot of ppl hold eggs...makes it bad for some seller's

8. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I love my lg, but it doesn't hold the temp as good as I wish it would.

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    [​IMG] Myers Poultry Farm! It's me Alexandra!!!

10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:THE ONLY THING THAT LIMITS THESE INCUBATORS TO 120 IS THE AUTO TURNERS, THE OP HAS TAKEN THAT OUT OF THE EQUATION BY HIS FANCY TURN TABLE THE WHOLE BATOR SITS IN. THE CONDITIONS INSIDE THE BATOR WILL NOT VARY DISPITE THE NUMBER OF EGGS INSIDE IT. GRANTED WHEN THEY ALL START TO PIP YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A HECK OF A HUMIDITY SPIKE, BUT SO LONG AS THEY STAY UPRIGHT IN THE CARTONS AS SHOWN THEY'LL BE FINE

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by