daylight killing

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Dontlickthechicks, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Dontlickthechicks

Dontlickthechicks Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Candia, NH
    I walked outside the other day waiting to be greeted by my free range flock and found it strangely quiet. finally I hear a chicken call out to me ( a few min's after I walked by) some of my girls had been hiding under the deck and were very reluctant to come out. I knew something was wrong and quickly called out to the rest. they were hiding good because they came out of the edge of the woods under low laying branches where I had already quickly looked. all were there but one.... my poor black langshan Flowers lay lifeless under the apple tree. her intestines were close by in a neat pile. her head was not bitten off , but I do think it had a puncture mark... her side had been eaten and there were a small to moderate amount of scattered feathers. it seemed she had been moved a few feet from where she was killed (a blood spot in the snow and the pile of intestines). I have never had any overnight attacks and nothing has ever tried to get into the coop, but I had occasionally lost a chicken here and there during daylight hours.....the last one being at the end of last winter and her head had been bitten off. at first I thought maybe a dog, but then I saw the pile of innards and ruled that out. If I had a raccoon problem, wouldn't I know it by now? the attacks seem random and few and far between, but I still worry about whatever it was being on the lookout for another easy kill. I have a large dog that I let out several times a day to check out the yard and mark his territory... any thoughts? RIP Flowers girl

2. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    Dogs are more likely to be daytime killers. Also hawks.

3. Dontlickthechicks

Dontlickthechicks Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Candia, NH
    well that was my first thought too, but the way the intestines were removed and in a neat pile off to the side made me wonder if I was dealing with something else. She was killed under my huge apple tree with lots of branches so I had also ruled out by air ( I had to crawl under to get her out) But who knows! Thanks

4. JessyGii

JessyGii Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2012
    Ohio
    It is probably a hawk, falcon , or eagle. the same thing happened to one of my ducks and it was from a falcon,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by