Daylight Savings Time = NO EGGS!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mommysongbird, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    We did not get one egg today. At least 2 of our girls went in to lay, but nothing. Is it b/c of Daylight Savings Time? And of course by 5:30 they were all in the coop on the roost. [​IMG]

Is this their sign that they are stopping for the winter???

2. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Well, what did you do? Put a clock in their coop, so they could see that the time changed?[​IMG] I'm sure they didn 't know the time changed - sometimes they take a break - but not usually all on the same day. Hmmmmm

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Fewer daylight hours = fewer eggs. I have 7 hens and have been spoiled with 5-7 eggs every day. Last week or so I'm getting 2-3 per day. On the other hand, they're eating more now that it's getting colder, like little piggies. As hard as it is to see fewer eggs in then nest boxes, at least 2 of mine could use a break - they've both been laying almost every day for the past year and a half, including right through last winter. Makes me tired just thinking about that lol. What type of chickens do you have, and how old are they?

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    My chickens are not laying because they are molting and because of less light...which has nothing to do with the change from DST to Standard time. And while I know my chickens can't tell time, I swear my dogs can! [​IMG]

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought it was just mine that started molting! You would think it would too darn cold to molt!

I haven't had any eggs in 5 days now! the little ravenous freeloaders...

6. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Yesterday, out of 7 laying, we got 1. [​IMG]

Today, we got 5. [​IMG]

After tonight's stray dog in our back yard issue, let's see what tomorrow brings. [​IMG]

7. Breezy_Living

Breezy_Living Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Northern California
    We had a weird morning too, our 1 laying hen keeps trying to escape. She laid a little later this morning due the commotion, but she's been laying around 11am (I guess 10am now). She's a funny one though!

8. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:Hahaha [​IMG]

[​IMG] maybe they are mad! They want out of the run so bad they can taste freedom. [​IMG]

9. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:Our chickens are mutts (Araucana mixes) and they are still young, 29 weeks today.

10. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:One of ours, the black EE use to lay early around 9:00 AM, then the other EE around 11:00 and then our white one around Noon and our other black one around 1:00 or 1:30. That was like clock work for about 2 weeks or so, then it all changed. The black one that layed in the afternoon has not laid since she was broody a few weeks back (she lays pink eggs). Not sure when we'll ever see another egg from her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by