daylilies and quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ginnboy, Oct 11, 2011.

1. ginnboy

ginnboy Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Are daylilies poisonous to bobwhites? I was thinking of planting a few in their flight pen for them to hide under.

2. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    I don't know for sure, but most "Lillies" are toxic to humans, other than garlic and asparagus.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it, but I can't say it is "poisonous" to bobs, nor any other bird.

3. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I do know the daylily blooms are safe for humans. I have a chef friend that uses them on cakes and the Asiatic lily 'stargazer' is very popular. Not sure about the leaves though.

got this from google

"No parts of daylily flowers are poisonous to humans, according to the United States Department of Agriculture. However, the daylily flower is poisonous to other animals, including cats and cows, and can cause kidney failure, lack of coordination, impaired movement, blindness and death, according to the ASPCA"

I with Joe, I would not risk it.

4. ginnboy

May 3, 2011
    Thanks for the info. Think ill plant some winter peas

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  5. joe125

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:Peas are good!

6. ginnboy

May 3, 2011
    Yea I remembered planting them one deer season. While sitting one day I watched a covey of bobwhites feed on them. So if wild ones will eat them mine hopfully will too

7. joe125

Sep 20, 2010
    Just between you and Me.

I have seen bobs, coturnix and even button quail feasting on 30% protein GBS...and doing quite well, thank you so much!

If one really wants to plant something that bobs like...Plant some ragweed!

8. ginnboy

May 3, 2011
    Lol Ragweed is something I have already on the edge of my yard so no need to plant it

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Knowing quail though, they may chomp down down plants [​IMG] I give mine gamebird starter/maintenance blend that I mix in with other ingredients, but the creeping Charlie weed is very high in vitamin c and helps in kidney and heart function if you want to give them something plantwise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by