Daylilies OK for use around run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicklette 1, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    I would like to put some plants around the chicken pen but do not want to use any plants that are harmful to them. I have some daylilies and their leaves would poke through the fencing so they would be able to eat them. Anyone have an answer??

2. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Daylilies are edible. You can eat the buds and flowers, too, if you want to.
    [​IMG]

3. birdsNbeesNseeds

birdsNbeesNseeds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    I have daylilies all over the place. the chickens love to sit on them and occasionally munch on them. No problems.

4. Chicklette 1

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    Great.......thanks very much

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I had a whole row of them along one side of the coop outside the chicken yard. A couple of years ago I divided them and, not knowing what to do with the extras, put a row inside the yard--the birds love them. The lilies are the only plants they haven't dug up but will lay in them and watch the world pass by.

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

You know, daylilies will also hold down a hardware cloth apron/skirt that you put around your run &/or coop to keep predators out. They would be a bugger for them to dig through in a year or two!

7. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    My girls loooooooove their daylillies. [​IMG] I have them all over the yard and they scratch in there for hours on end, take naps, dust bathe and use it to hide from overhead threats. [​IMG] And daylillies are pretty hardy plants. They are still there after a full summer of chicken use and abuse.

8. Chicklette 1

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    I've got a bunch of extras that I didn't know what todo with ....but I do now! I have them in several areas around the farm because I just love all the different varieties but I was running out of good spots to put them. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by