Days old pekins

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jpat, May 19, 2018.

1. Jpat

Jpat Songster

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    Hey everyone, Iam picking up 2 female pekin ducklings tomorow, They are a few days old

Is there anything odd or different from muscovie and mulards? 90 degrees in the brooder and lots of water i guess

Thanks everyone

house.of.ducks likes this.
  2. Khota

Khota Songster

Jun 4, 2017
    Texas
    You'll probably want to take care of them just like how you'd take care of mallards (Cant speak for muscovies as ive never had any.)
    90 degrees first week and 5 degrees less each week after that is what I usually hear for brooder temperatures, though I suggest watching how they act and adjusting based off of that. (Are they huddled together? Too cold. Are they far apart and far away from the heat lamp as they can be? Too hot.)
    Yep to the lots of water! Make sure its deep enough so they can dip their bills in it. A lot of people cut up milk jugs for water bowls or use cleaned plastic containers with holes cut in the lid for minimal mess with maximum effectiveness.
    Only major difference I can think of breed-wise though is that pekins cant really fly (maybe like 2 feet off the ground lol) like a mallard or muscovy could.

3. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Free Ranging

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    My Coop
    Pekins grow fast, so just watch them with the heat (panting and such). I think it would be similar to your pekin-muscovy mixes as far as brooding goes.
    I know with my muscovies, they didn't get brooded by the book.
    Muscovy won't fly until they get their flight feathers and then only for a short amount of time (for the males). Female muscovies can fly, but generally not far once they get older and they will stay close by their home. From what I have read, they just like to fly up high to perch (garages, trees, etc)
    Mine are going on 10 weeks. They do have flight feathers and given the opportunity they might be able to fly. But, this is just a recent development. They are in their run so far and so haven't been given a chance yet. When that time comes, I am clipping at least one set of wings per duck.

4. Jpat

Jpat Songster

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    Finaly got them! no idea on the gender. The lady who hatched them speaks french and german and i speak pretend french. gender was lost in translation

Attached Files:

5. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Free Ranging

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    My Coop
    Pretend french? :gig
    Adorable. You will just have to wait now to see what gender.

6. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Ducks win

Mar 22, 2014
    Italy
    Adorable lil peepers.

Jpat likes this.
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member 8 Years

Congrats on the new babies.. :love

Jpat likes this.
  8. Lil Drake40

Lil Drake40 Crowing

Apr 25, 2018
    Somewhere in the mountains
    Adorable:love

Jpat likes this.
  9. Jpat

Jpat Songster

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    haha thanks everyone

I can read french but i find it hard to understand spoken haha i just belt out words in french hahaha

Soon2BChixMom likes this.
  10. Jpat

Jpat Songster

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    cant help it

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: