Days olds eating poop and bedding question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blessedmamato3, Jul 14, 2011.

1. blessedmamato3

blessedmamato3 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Ok, so I bit the bullet and put them on medicated feed for the first several days; however, I ordered their organic starter feed (non medicated) from azure, which I will have Saturday. I plan to switch them to that Monday. Since they are eating each other's poop, will this be ok?

Also, we made a 4x4 brooder out of OSB and put a divider in, so that 2/3 is open to them and we can put them in the other side when cleaning the other side out. I put pine shavings on the bottom, newspaper on the top and then paper towel on top of that. Is this setup ok?

2. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    Why are they eating poop? Im not really sure if it would be ok or not cuz i dont really know about the medicated food, sorry

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I don't think eating poop has a thing to do with what food they're on in this instance. Chicks just do some weird stuff. It should be ok.

4. blessedmamato3

Jul 11, 2011
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. I mentioned the medicated food in case eating poop would spread something around. They all appear healthy, but I'm a newbie and want to cover my bases.

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    If they were going to spread something around they'd already have done it. You should be ok.

6. blessedmamato3

Jul 11, 2011
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by